Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Bonding

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    When Carbon double bonds to another carbon, does one of each's electrons move like this?
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4566/bondb.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2

Wax

That mechanism is completely wrong. What mechanism are you trying to draw and why does the lone pair in the middle have wings?

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3
    No specific mechanism, trying to draw a Carbon double bond with another in terms of electrons so I can understand. What's wrong with it?

5. Jul 3, 2009 #4

Wax

Have you went over the section on how to draw a mechanism yet? That helps a lot on understanding how elections move.

6. Jul 3, 2009 #5
    No, I haven't. Mind telling me how each Carbon's 4 valence electrons move, then to get C=C?

7. Jul 3, 2009 #6

Wax

Skim over the section first because you seem confused and it's a lot to explain.

8. Jul 3, 2009 #7
    I'm not asking that much... how does a C=C bond form in terms of 4 valence electrons? It's WAY before reaction mechanisms in my book, so I think you are overcomplicating it a bit.

9. Jul 4, 2009 #8
    I'm not sure what it is you're asking so maybe I shouldn't be replying.... I'm only in high school level chem

So you know that violates the octet rule, right? Carbon would have to form a quadruple bond with another carbon in order for it to be right in terms of the octet rule... but according to wikipedia that doesn't usually happen.

For your diagram, the unbonded electrons aren't paired, the way I've been doing it with Lewis dot diagrams, that part's right....

oh, and... wikipedia has this to say: "Carbon atoms can also form double bonds called alkenes or triple bonds called alkynes. A double bond is formed with an sp2 hybridized orbital and a p-orbital that isn't involved in the hybridization."

But you didn't say anything about orbitals so...

Ehn, sorry, I know I'm no help...

10. Jul 4, 2009 #9

Wax

I don't want to complicate things for you because I don't know where you are in your course but generally, elections don't move that way. I think you're book is just trying to sample what you will be learning much farther along the course. Before you learn how to form double bonds, you must first learn how to form single bonds. Before you learn how to form single bonds, you must know the meaning of an electrophile and nucleophile. If you can't represent that on a drawing then it really has no meaning but if that's what you're book is showing you right now then just go with it.

11. Jul 4, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think Sonic7145 just wants to know where do the electrons in the bond come from - this is an exercise in accounting, not mechanisms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook