Understand Carbon Bonding: Electron Movement?

• Thread starter HeartSoul132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the book is trying to introduce concepts that will be further developed later on in the course.
HeartSoul132
When Carbon double bonds to another carbon, does one of each's electrons move like this?
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4566/bondb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
That mechanism is completely wrong. What mechanism are you trying to draw and why does the lone pair in the middle have wings?

No specific mechanism, trying to draw a Carbon double bond with another in terms of electrons so I can understand. What's wrong with it?

Have you went over the section on how to draw a mechanism yet? That helps a lot on understanding how elections move.

No, I haven't. Mind telling me how each Carbon's 4 valence electrons move, then to get C=C?

Skim over the section first because you seem confused and it's a lot to explain.

I'm not asking that much... how does a C=C bond form in terms of 4 valence electrons? It's WAY before reaction mechanisms in my book, so I think you are overcomplicating it a bit.

I'm not sure what it is you're asking so maybe I shouldn't be replying... I'm only in high school level chem

So you know that violates the octet rule, right? Carbon would have to form a quadruple bond with another carbon in order for it to be right in terms of the octet rule... but according to wikipedia that doesn't usually happen.

For your diagram, the unbonded electrons aren't paired, the way I've been doing it with Lewis dot diagrams, that part's right...

oh, and... wikipedia has this to say: "Carbon atoms can also form double bonds called alkenes or triple bonds called alkynes. A double bond is formed with an sp2 hybridized orbital and a p-orbital that isn't involved in the hybridization."

But you didn't say anything about orbitals so...

Ehn, sorry, I know I'm no help...

I don't want to complicate things for you because I don't know where you are in your course but generally, elections don't move that way. I think you're book is just trying to sample what you will be learning much farther along the course. Before you learn how to form double bonds, you must first learn how to form single bonds. Before you learn how to form single bonds, you must know the meaning of an electrophile and nucleophile. If you can't represent that on a drawing then it really has no meaning but if that's what you're book is showing you right now then just go with it.

I think Sonic7145 just wants to know where do the electrons in the bond come from - this is an exercise in accounting, not mechanisms.

1. What is carbon bonding and why is it important?

Carbon bonding refers to the way in which atoms of carbon combine with other atoms through the sharing or transfer of electrons. This is important because carbon is the building block of all living organisms and plays a crucial role in the structure and function of molecules in our bodies.

2. How do electrons move in carbon bonding?

In carbon bonding, electrons move through a process called covalent bonding. This involves the sharing of electrons between two atoms to form a strong bond. Electrons can also be transferred from one atom to another, creating an ionic bond.

3. What are the different types of carbon bonds?

There are three main types of carbon bonds: single bonds, double bonds, and triple bonds. Single bonds involve the sharing of one pair of electrons between two atoms, double bonds involve the sharing of two pairs of electrons, and triple bonds involve the sharing of three pairs of electrons.

4. How does carbon bonding affect the properties of molecules?

Carbon bonding greatly influences the properties of molecules. The type and number of bonds present can determine the shape, stability, and reactivity of a molecule. For example, molecules with double bonds are generally more reactive than those with single bonds.

5. Why is understanding carbon bonding important in fields such as chemistry and biology?

Understanding carbon bonding is crucial in chemistry and biology as it helps us to understand the structure and function of molecules in living organisms. It also allows us to predict and manipulate the behavior of molecules, leading to advancements in various industries such as medicine and materials science.