Understanding Calculus: Is it OK to Just Memorize Theorems?

• Thread starter Gablar16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty the individual is having with understanding calculus, particularly the proofs and theorems. They are questioning if it is okay to just learn how to use the theorems and if with practice, they will eventually understand the why behind them. The other individual suggests trying to prove the theorems themselves or seeking help online if needed.
Gablar16
Well here I am studying calculus, and I've got to say that it is indeed pretty hard. All my experience with math up to pre-calc although hard work,it was relativly easy to "see". I can understand basic algebra good enough to be an algebra tutor at my school. I usually have no problems clearly visualizing algebra. Calculus has been a little different, I can't visualize the proofs in my textbook as easy as I did pre-calc or algebra. For example I'm learning diferential products but I don't really understand why the differential of a product = f(x)g'(x)+g(x)f'(x)

My question is, is it OK to learn calculus just learning how to use the theorems and maybe with use and practice I will "see" the why? I'm I just simply not smart enough?

I hope this is the right forum since it is academic advice. Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gablar16 said:
Well here I am studying calculus, and I've got to say that it is indeed pretty hard. All my experience with math up to pre-calc although hard work,it was relativly easy to "see". I can understand basic algebra good enough to be an algebra tutor at my school. I usually have no problems clearly visualizing algebra. Calculus has been a little different, I can't visualize the proofs in my textbook as easy as I did pre-calc or algebra. For example I'm learning diferential products but I don't really understand why the differential of a product = f(x)g'(x)+g(x)f'(x)

My question is, is it OK to learn calculus just learning how to use the theorems and maybe with use and practice I will "see" the why? I'm I just simply not smart enough?

I hope this is the right forum since it is academic advice. Thanks for any answers.

Are you not understanding where the definition of the derivative comes from? All of the rules of differentiation are derived by simply substituting different functions into the definition of the derivative and then determining the result.

Thanks for your answer leright. I can understand that, but I can't see it clearly. I understand that the definition of the derivative has its roots on the definition of slope. I can see that fairly clear. the problem is that the theorems are comin in a little fast for me to clearly see how they all fit in the definition. Although applying the theorems seems "easy enough" so far it worries me that instead of understanding where the derivation of products comes from, I have to just assume the theorem is right and dumbly apply it. I guess with time and experience it will be fixed I just worry that when it comes time to apply the knowledge it will be more difficult than it needs.

Maybe it is just me worrying too much.

Well, it's always a good idea to try to prove theorems yourself! If you can't figure out the proofs, then you can ask here or look online for help with them. Many people will be happy to help.

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and the accumulation of quantities. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. Do I have to memorize all the theorems in Calculus?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all the theorems in Calculus. While memorization can be helpful in some cases, it is more important to understand the concepts and how to apply them to solve problems.

3. Can I just rely on my calculator to do all the calculations in Calculus?

While calculators can be useful for performing complex calculations, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts in Calculus. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your ability to solve problems and understand the reasoning behind the calculations.

4. Is it possible to learn Calculus without a strong background in math?

It is possible to learn Calculus without a strong background in math, but it may require more effort and time. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry before diving into Calculus.

5. How can I effectively study and understand Calculus?

The key to understanding Calculus is practice and repetition. It is important to work through problems and practice applying the concepts. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and asking for help from a tutor or teacher.