How do I accurately measure the size of an object using CCTV lenses?

• Thread starter bobjim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, The user has found the nodal points and principle planes of a lens, and has determined that the Focal length is 12mm, which is measured from the mounting surface. They have also drawn a diagram to help them accurately measure the size of objects in an image. They have solved their problem and no longer need assistance.
bobjim
[SOLVED] Understanding CCTV lenses

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my head around the way a lens works...

I've found the nodal points, and since the medium surrounding the lens is air constant refractive index (air) then they nodal points coincide with the principle planes, right?

Also the Focal length of the lens is 12mm, which I assume since it's a CCTV lens, is measured from the mounting surface rather than the last element of the lens... is that a fair assumption?

I've drawn a diagram of what I think represents the path of a ray going through the lens. (see attached) What I'm trying to do is accurately measure the size of something from it's size in pixels in the image.

Attachments

• Lens Principle Planes.png
    Lens Principle Planes.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 444
Science news on Phys.org
damn, I talk some rubbish sometimes! *think* I've figured it all out now... ignore everything above! If an admin want's to close/delete this thread, please feel free.

Hi there! Measuring the size of an object using CCTV lenses can be a bit tricky, but here are some steps you can follow to get an accurate measurement:

1. Determine the focal length of the lens: As you mentioned, the focal length of a CCTV lens is usually measured from the mounting surface. This is important because it will affect the field of view and magnification of the lens.

2. Calculate the magnification: Once you know the focal length, you can calculate the magnification of the lens by dividing the focal length by the distance between the lens and the object. This will give you a rough estimate of how much the object will be magnified in the image.

3. Measure the object in pixels: Use the CCTV camera to capture an image of the object you want to measure. Then, using image editing software, measure the size of the object in pixels. This will give you a baseline measurement to work with.

4. Use the magnification factor: Using the magnification factor you calculated in step 2, multiply the pixel measurement by this factor to get the actual size of the object in millimeters or inches.

5. Consider the distortion: Keep in mind that CCTV lenses can have some distortion, especially towards the edges of the image. This can affect the accuracy of your measurement, so it's important to take multiple measurements from different points of the image and average them out.

I hope this helps! It's always a good idea to double check your measurements and take multiple readings to ensure accuracy. Best of luck with your measurements!

1. What is a CCTV lens?

A CCTV lens is a type of camera lens designed specifically for use in closed-circuit television (CCTV) systems. It is responsible for capturing and focusing the light onto the image sensor, which then converts the light into an electronic signal that is used to produce a video image.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a CCTV lens?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a CCTV lens, including focal length, aperture, lens type, and sensor size. The focal length determines the field of view and the magnification of the image, while the aperture controls how much light reaches the sensor. The type of lens (fixed or varifocal) will affect the ability to adjust the focal length, and the sensor size will determine the resolution and image quality.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a varifocal lens?

A fixed lens has a set focal length that cannot be adjusted, while a varifocal lens allows for manual adjustment of the focal length. This means that a varifocal lens provides more flexibility in terms of field of view and magnification, but it also comes at a higher cost.

4. How do I calculate the required focal length for my CCTV lens?

The required focal length depends on the field of view and the distance to the subject. A wider field of view requires a shorter focal length, and a larger distance to the subject requires a longer focal length. To calculate the focal length, you can use the formula: focal length = (distance to subject * horizontal field of view) / image width.

5. Can I use any type of lens with my CCTV camera?

No, not all lenses are compatible with CCTV cameras. It is important to choose a lens that is specifically designed for CCTV systems to ensure proper image quality and compatibility with the camera. Using the wrong type of lens can result in distorted or unusable video footage.