Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Crack Propagation through SERR using the VCCT (ANSYS)

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently an undergraduate student working on my final year project titled 'Understanding Crack Propagation of T-Section Stiffened Composite Panels'. I'm trying to establish the strain energy release rates (SERR) along the crack front using the Virtual Crack closure technique.

All modelling has been done in Ansys Classic utilising Plane183 elements.Each Ply has been modelled individually with its respective properties being assigned to them.

I've performed the VCCT along the crack front that I'm interested in with a load of roughly 60% of the failure load. The SERR/crack length curve correlates well with what was expected however, the values I'm getting for the SERR's are very low (around 5.0e-8 J/m^2). This is something I wasn't expecting...

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest why they are so low.

It seems that the main factor is the forces acting on the crack tip nodes as I am generating values of around 1.00e-11 Newtons.

I'm planning to do a Mode I and Mode II fracture toughness test in the next couple of weeks to establish a critical SERR for each mode but I'm expecting it to be far greater than what my results are showing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted