Exploring Casimir Operators and Rest Reference Conditions in Particle Physics

• Thread starter noamriemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation W^mu=-1/2 epsilon^mu nu lambda sigma M_nu lambda p_sigma, which is a Casimir Operator. The speaker is trying to understand the equation and its implications for different conditions, such as p_mu=(m,0,0,0) and m^2<0. They also ask for clarification on the relationship between p_mu=(0,0,0,m) and m^2<0, as well as p_mu=(p,0,0,p) and m=0. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their understanding of p_mu=(m,0,0,0) for a massive particle.
noamriemer
Hi guys!
There is something I would like to get your help with...

I am looking at the equation:

[itex]W^{\mu}=-\frac{1}{2} \varepsilon^{\mu\nu\lambda\sigma}M_{\nu\lambda}p_{\sigma}[/itex]

Which is, if I understand correctly,a Casimir Operator.
Now, I wish to look at a particle in its rest reference, meaning,
[itex]p_\mu=(m,0,0,0)[/itex]

Why would these conditions yield :
[itex]W^\mu =\frac {1} {2} m\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\lambda0}M_{\nu\lambda}[/itex]
?
I can seem to understand how the indices change...

The next thing I want to do, is understand what happens if I take [itex]m^2<0[/itex]

Why does this condition mean that the momentum vector would be
[itex]p_\mu=(0,0,0,m)[/itex]
?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you've quoted uses the Einstein summation convention, in which repeated indices are summed over: AiBi is a convenient short way of writing [itex]\sum[/itex]AiBi

And because the only non-zero element of p is p0, when you do the summation over σ, all the terms are zero except the one in which σ is zero.

Thank you!

But why does
[itex]p_{\mu}=(0,0,0,m)[/itex] relate to [itex]m^2<0[/itex]?

And likewise,

[itex]p_{\mu}=(p,0,0,p)[/itex] relate to [itex]m=0[/itex]?

I understand why
[itex]p_{\mu}=(m,0,0,0)[/itex] relate to massive particle,
My logic here is [itex]p_0=E[/itex] and [itex]E\approx m[/itex]
and [itex]\vec{p}=0[/itex] (because we are looking at the reference frame)
But same logic does not work for me regarding the two eq. above...
Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of defining terms in scientific research?

Defining terms is important in scientific research because it helps to establish a common understanding and language among researchers. It ensures that everyone is using the same definitions and can accurately interpret and communicate their findings.

2. How do scientists determine the definitions of specific terms?

Scientists determine the definitions of specific terms through a rigorous process of research, experimentation, and peer review. They may also consult existing literature and experts in the field to ensure their definitions are accurate and widely accepted.

3. Can definitions change over time in science?

Yes, definitions in science can change over time as new evidence and research emerges. This is especially true in rapidly advancing fields, such as technology and medicine. However, changes in definitions are usually based on solid evidence and undergo careful scrutiny before being accepted by the scientific community.

4. What is the difference between a scientific definition and a dictionary definition?

A scientific definition is more specific and precise than a dictionary definition. It is based on empirical evidence and often includes technical terms and concepts that are unique to a particular field of study. Dictionary definitions, on the other hand, are more general and commonly understood definitions that may not always align with scientific definitions.

5. Why is it important to use consistent definitions in scientific literature?

Using consistent definitions in scientific literature is crucial for building upon existing knowledge and ensuring the validity and reliability of research. Inconsistencies in definitions can lead to confusion and incorrect interpretations, which can hinder the progress of scientific understanding.