Understanding EEEng: Tips to Get Started

• Thread starter GnMvP
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for a good basic electronics book to help with their studies for electrical engineering. They mention that the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is a good starting point.
GnMvP
I will be doing electrical and electronic engineering next year..
But i don't really feel comfortable with the knowledge of physics i got!..
Even when i started studying again from the scratch(capacitors) i couldn't understand what the book was talking about...

Do you have any tip for me that could be helpful?
I think i have plenty of time to reach the some sort of standards i want to!

Engineering news on Phys.org
GnMvP said:
I will be doing electrical and electronic engineering next year..
But i don't really feel comfortable with the knowledge of physics i got!..
Even when i started studying again from the scratch(capacitors) i couldn't understand what the book was talking about...

Do you have any tip for me that could be helpful?
I think i have plenty of time to reach the some sort of standards i want to!

Do you mean that you are just about to start college/university, and want to brush up some to help your studies in EE? If so, I'd suggest buying the book, "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It is a good basic electronics book, with just enough math to be useful and still manageable for a person new to EE. This is a book that you can read cover-to-cover in a couple months (or faster if you have the spare time), and you will come away with a good basic knowledge of different kinds of circuits, including practical devices that you will use every day in EE work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, exactly!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you think that i will be on a respectable level if i understand all or the most of the things it is talking about?!

PS: Isn't it little old?.. Publisher: Cambridge University Press; 2 edition (July 28, 1989)
it was publshed the year i was born :P

GnMvP said:
Yeah, exactly!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you think that i will be on a respectable level if i understand all or the most of the things it is talking about?!

PS: Isn't it little old?.. Publisher: Cambridge University Press; 2 edition (July 28, 1989)
Yes. This is one of the most respectable books in electrical engineering.

Although you are right, it is outdated, but its principles are not.

Last edited:
GnMvP said:

Pretty amazing -- I hadn't noticed that. I only have the 1st edition (1980)!

But yes, for an intro text, all this stuff is pretty relevant. And even the lists of real devices in the book are still pretty current. There are newer rail-to-rail opamps available that I don't think H&H covers, for example, and they might be light on LDO regulators (low drop-out), and maybe a few other things. But if you read and understand that book, you will be well prepared for your EE studies. Heck, you'll be well ahead of the game. You will also be equipped to start building some electronics kits and some of your own basic experimental circuits. And if you do that, you will be that much better prepared for when you see the material in your regular EE courses and labs.

BTW, in case you didn't see the thread, we recently had some fun (and learning) with a set of sections in H&H about "Bad Circuits". This thread will start to give you a feel for why that particular book's practical, real-world approach to basic electronics is so useful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

waht said:
Yes. This is one of the most respectable books in electrical engineering.

Although you are right, it is outdated, but its principles are not.
berkeman said:
Pretty amazing -- I hadn't noticed that. I only have the 1st edition (1980)!

But yes, for an intro text, all this stuff is pretty relevant. And even the lists of real devices in the book are still pretty current. There are newer rail-to-rail opamps available that I don't think H&H covers, for example, and they might be light on LDO regulators (low drop-out), and maybe a few other things. But if you read and understand that book, you will be well prepared for your EE studies. Heck, you'll be well ahead of the game. You will also be equipped to start building some electronics kits and some of your own basic experimental circuits. And if you do that, you will be that much better prepared for when you see the material in your regular EE courses and labs.

BTW, in case you didn't see the thread, we recently had some fun (and learning) with a set of sections in H&H about "Bad Circuits". This thread will start to give you a feel for why that particular book's practical, real-world approach to basic electronics is so useful:

w ww.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

Thanks you both!
You have been very helpful!

I already have this book (w ww.amazon.com/University-Physics-Modern-Mastering-International/dp/0321204697/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209087882&sr=8-11.. but with the green cover); Although i couldn't really understand it! -sorry i am not allowed to post links-

Ok, don't get mad but i didn't even understand the symbols on the circuits at the pictures you have posted on the other thread...:redface:

What about electromagnetism and electromagnetic fields?

What about electromagnetism and electromagnetic fields?

Its your maths that you will need to keep keen.
Dont worry too much about the topics though they may look daunting...you will grow into them if you really like the subject.
the secret is to get to know the capabilities of each device. This is somewhat tied up with the equations describing their behaviour and will be the root of any design that you do.
However, once you start 'seeing' the behaviour of the devices, intuition will play a greater role in eeking out a design from scratch.

good luck with the course.

1. What is EEEng?

EEEng stands for Electrical Engineering, and it is a field of science that deals with the study, design, and application of electrical systems, devices, and circuits. It involves analyzing and manipulating electrical signals and power to create innovative technologies that improve our lives.

2. Why is it important to understand EEEng?

EEEng is a fundamental aspect of modern society, and it affects almost every aspect of our daily lives. From the electricity that powers our homes to the technology we use, EEEng plays a crucial role. Understanding EEEng can help us make informed decisions, solve complex problems, and contribute to the advancements of technology.

3. What are some tips for getting started with EEEng?

Some tips for getting started with EEEng include taking introductory courses in electrical engineering, practicing problem-solving skills, and familiarizing yourself with basic concepts such as circuit analysis, digital electronics, and electromagnetics. It is also essential to develop strong math and analytical skills.

4. What are some common misconceptions about EEEng?

One common misconception about EEEng is that it is only for students who excel in math and science. While these subjects are important in electrical engineering, anyone can learn and understand EEEng with dedication and hard work. Another misconception is that EEEng is only about theoretical concepts, when in reality, it involves hands-on experimentation and practical applications.

5. Are there any resources available for learning EEEng?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning EEEng, such as textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and forums. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses and lectures on EEEng topics. It is also beneficial to join a student organization or attend conferences and workshops to network with other students and professionals in the field.