Understanding INCAR file of VASP

• Thread starter schrodingerscat11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the ISMEAR parameter in VASP is used to determine the partial occupancies of each orbital, which represent the probability of finding electrons in that orbital.
schrodingerscat11

Homework Statement

Hi! Greetings! I am studying how to use VASP or the Vienna Ab-initio Simulation Package. I'm starting to study the parameters in the INCAR file first.

According to the online manual, the ISMEAR parameter is one of those that are recommended to be manually set. The ISMEAR definition is as follows:

ISMEAR determines how the partial occupancies [itex]f_{n{\bf k}}[/itex] are set for each orbital.

Questions: Are orbitals here defined as the most like area where electrons can be found (as taught in our chemistry)? Also, I don't really understand what "partial occupancies" mean. :confused:

Thank you very much. :smile:

physicsjn

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsN/AThe Attempt at a SolutionYes, orbitals in VASP are the same as those taught in chemistry class. An orbital is an area of space around an atom in which there is a high probability of finding electrons. Partial occupancies are the degree to which an orbital is occupied by electrons. In quantum mechanics, the electron can be thought of as being in a superposition of multiple states at the same time, and each state has some probability of being occupied. The ISMEAR parameter sets the partial occupancies for each orbital, indicating how many electrons are expected to be found in each orbital.

1. What is an INCAR file in VASP?

An INCAR file is a text file used in the VASP (Vienna Ab initio Simulation Package) software for setting up and controlling the parameters of a molecular dynamics or electronic structure calculation. It contains input parameters such as the type of calculation, convergence criteria, and electronic structure method.

2. How do I create an INCAR file?

An INCAR file can be created using a text editor such as Notepad or Vim. The file should be saved in the same directory as the other input and output files for the VASP calculation. Alternatively, some VASP interfaces also provide a graphical user interface for creating and editing INCAR files.

3. What are the most important parameters in an INCAR file?

The most important parameters in an INCAR file depend on the type of calculation being performed, but some commonly used parameters include the electronic structure method, convergence criteria, k-point mesh, and number of ionic steps. It is important to refer to the VASP documentation for a full list of available parameters and their definitions.

4. Can I modify an INCAR file during a VASP calculation?

Yes, it is possible to modify an INCAR file during a VASP calculation. This can be useful for adjusting parameters to improve convergence or for performing multiple calculations with different settings. However, care should be taken to ensure that the changes made are appropriate for the current state of the calculation.

5. How do I interpret the output from an INCAR file?

The output from an INCAR file can be interpreted by examining the output files generated by the VASP calculation, such as the OUTCAR and vasprun.xml files. These files contain information about the calculation parameters, convergence, and electronic structure results. Additionally, the VASP documentation provides detailed explanations of the output and how to interpret it.