1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Jackson (again!)

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Jackson Section 5.10, the uniformly magnetized sphere, I'm trying to fill in the steps from his first equation to Equation 5.104. I get the same potential except I am lacking the cos[tex]\theta[/tex] term. My work shown below.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]$\begin{array}{l}
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{{4\pi }}\int {\frac{{\cos \theta '}}{{\left| {\user1{x - x'}} \right|}}d\Omega '} \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\left| {\user1{x - x'}} \right|}}\cos \theta 'd\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\left[ {\sum\limits_{l = 0}^\infty {\frac{{r_ < ^l }}{{r_ > ^{l + 1} }}P_l \left( {\cos \theta } \right)} } \right]P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}P_1 \left( {\cos \theta } \right)P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}\int {P_1 \left( {\cos \theta } \right)P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}\left( {\frac{2}{{2 + 1}}} \right) \\
    \Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{3}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }} \\
    \end{array}$[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see two things wrong with your solution:

(1) You seem to be claiming that

[tex]\frac{1}{|\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}'|}=\sum\limits_{l = 0}^\infty {\frac{{r_ < ^l }}{{r_ > ^{l + 1} }}P_l \left( {\cos \theta } \right)}[/tex]

but this is only true if [itex]\theta[/itex]is defined to be the angle between [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{x}'[/itex], not the polar angle of [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex]

(2) You also seem to claim that [itex]P_l(\cos\theta)[/itex] is orthogonal (under the weight function [itex]\sin\theta'[/itex] ) to [itex]P_{l'}(\cos\theta')[/itex], but this is only true if [itex]\theta=\theta'[/itex]

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks; I went through again but with the full spherical harmonics, and paid careful attention to the primed and unprimed values, and got it, but it raises a more general question I would appreciate some help on. I know that azimuthal symmetry allows me to automatically set m=0, and I understand why. I can also demonstrate that l must be 1 for this problem, but is there something (physically or mathmatically) that would allow me to know without further work that l can only =1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook