Understanding Jackson (again)

• Thread starter Old Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, Jackson's homework statement says to solve for the potential inside a uniformly magnetized sphere using the spherical harmonics. However, the student is having trouble understanding why azimuthal symmetry would allow them to set m=0 and is looking for help on this.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

Jackson Section 5.10, the uniformly magnetized sphere, I'm trying to fill in the steps from his first equation to Equation 5.104. I get the same potential except I am lacking the cos[tex]\theta[/tex] term. My work shown below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]$\begin{array}{l}
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{{4\pi }}\int {\frac{{\cos \theta '}}{{\left| {\user1{x - x'}} \right|}}d\Omega '} \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\left| {\user1{x - x'}} \right|}}\cos \theta 'd\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\left[ {\sum\limits_{l = 0}^\infty {\frac{{r_ < ^l }}{{r_ > ^{l + 1} }}P_l \left( {\cos \theta } \right)} } \right]P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\int {\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}P_1 \left( {\cos \theta } \right)P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}\int {P_1 \left( {\cos \theta } \right)P_1 \left( {\cos \theta '} \right)d\left( {\cos \theta '} \right)} \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{2}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }}\left( {\frac{2}{{2 + 1}}} \right) \\
\Phi _M = \frac{{M_0 a^2 }}{3}\frac{{r_ < ^{} }}{{r_ > ^2 }} \\
\end{array}$[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two things wrong with your solution:

(1) You seem to be claiming that

[tex]\frac{1}{|\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}'|}=\sum\limits_{l = 0}^\infty {\frac{{r_ < ^l }}{{r_ > ^{l + 1} }}P_l \left( {\cos \theta } \right)}[/tex]

but this is only true if [itex]\theta[/itex]is defined to be the angle between [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{x}'[/itex], not the polar angle of [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex]

(2) You also seem to claim that [itex]P_l(\cos\theta)[/itex] is orthogonal (under the weight function [itex]\sin\theta'[/itex] ) to [itex]P_{l'}(\cos\theta')[/itex], but this is only true if [itex]\theta=\theta'[/itex]

Thanks; I went through again but with the full spherical harmonics, and paid careful attention to the primed and unprimed values, and got it, but it raises a more general question I would appreciate some help on. I know that azimuthal symmetry allows me to automatically set m=0, and I understand why. I can also demonstrate that l must be 1 for this problem, but is there something (physically or mathmatically) that would allow me to know without further work that l can only =1?

1. What is the concept of "Understanding Jackson (again)"?

The concept of "Understanding Jackson (again)" refers to the process of revisiting and gaining a deeper understanding of the life, work, and impact of the American president Andrew Jackson. This can include studying his policies, actions, and legacy as well as examining the historical context in which he lived.

2. Why is it important to understand Andrew Jackson?

Understanding Andrew Jackson is important because he was a highly influential figure in American history, serving as the seventh president of the United States and leaving a lasting impact on the country's politics and society. By gaining a better understanding of Jackson, we can also gain insights into key events and issues in American history.

3. What are some key events and policies associated with Andrew Jackson?

Some key events and policies associated with Andrew Jackson include the Indian Removal Act of 1830, the Nullification Crisis, and the creation of the modern Democratic Party. Jackson also oversaw the expansion of the United States through the annexation of Florida and the Louisiana Purchase.

4. How does Andrew Jackson's legacy continue to impact the United States today?

Andrew Jackson's legacy continues to impact the United States today in various ways. His policies and actions towards Native Americans have been criticized for their role in perpetuating systemic injustices and inequalities. Additionally, his populist approach to politics and focus on expanding executive power have had lasting effects on the American political system.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Andrew Jackson?

Some common misconceptions about Andrew Jackson include the belief that he was a champion of democracy and the common people, when in reality he often used his power to benefit the elite and wealthy. There is also a misconception that Jackson was solely responsible for the Trail of Tears, when in fact it was a result of the actions of multiple government officials and agencies. Additionally, his reputation as a military hero has been misrepresented, as many of his military victories were actually led by other commanders.