1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding key concepts in Quantum Mechanics/Condensed Matter Physics by a chemist

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Hello, I am a chemist and have been working on chemical dynamics. Recently I have started working on some many body interactions. Therein I have found some ideas about Fock Space, Fock Matrix, Fock Space Coherences. These are extensively used to provide characteristic information in static/dynamic/coupled systems.

1.What I want to understand is the physical basis of these terms. Although I have a fair bit of idea on its mathematical weightage, I am not able to get its physical significance.
    2.Also I need to know how do You perceive the transfer of a state from a Hilbert Space to a Fock Space.
    3. How do we know whether the atom/molecule/complex is in the Fock Space.
    4. What factors or grounds do we consider before attempting to solve a system by taking it into the Fock Space.
    5. If you can prescribe me any book where I can get a hold of these, I will be even more grateful.

I've gone through lecture notes by C. Nayak, Demler, Dinsmore. But still am not clear. I would really appreciate if you help me out. A chemist shifting to Physics is really proving difficult.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?