What is the Significance of Substituting p for -p in the Klein-Gordon Equation?

• Thread starter M. Kohlhaas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Klein-gordon
In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation theorem for integrals in quantum field theory, specifically regarding the substitution of \vec{p} for -\vec{p} and the effect on the Jacobi-determinant. The speaker initially questions the resulting minus sign after the substitution, but is then reminded that the transformation theorem involves the modulus of the jacobian, not the jacobian itself. The conversation ends with a thank you from the speaker.
M. Kohlhaas
I'm just reading the schroeder/peskin introduction to quantum field theory. On Page 21 there is the equation

[tex]\phi(x)=\int\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2\omega_{\vec{p}}} }

(a_{\vec{p}} e^{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}

+a^{+}_{\vec{p}} e^{-i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}
)[/tex]

and in the next step:

(a_{\vec{p}}

+a^{+}_{\vec{-p}}
)e^{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}[/tex]

with [tex]\omega_{\vec{p}}=\sqrt{|\vec{p}|^2+m^2}[/tex]

I don't understand that. When I substitute [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] for [tex]-\vec{p}[/tex] shouldn't the Jacobi-determinant then put a minus sign such that:

(a_{\vec{p}}

-a^{+}_{\vec{-p}}
)e^{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}[/tex]

What's wrong with me?

Physics news on Phys.org
M. Kohlhaas said:
I don't understand that. When I substitute [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] for [tex]-\vec{p}[/tex] shouldn't the Jacobi-determinant then put a minus sign

The transformation theorem for integrals involves the modulus of the jacobian, not the jacobian itself, so the sign drops out. E.g. if you think of a single integral as the area under a curve, then it doesn't make a difference when you mirror the function at the vertical axis (as long as you keep the same orientation for the integration "volume").

Remember that you also need to change integration limits in 3 integrals. This leads to another change of the total sign.

Eugene.

Thanks. :smile:

1. What is the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes spinless particles with a mass. It is a second-order partial differential equation that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

2. What is the physical interpretation of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation describes the behavior of particles with spin zero, such as mesons. It is used to study the dynamics of these particles and their interactions with other particles.

3. How is the Klein-Gordon equation derived?

The Klein-Gordon equation is derived from the relativistic energy-momentum relation and the wave equation. It was first proposed by Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon in 1926, and later developed by physicists such as Paul Dirac and Erwin Schrödinger.

4. What are the key features of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic equation, meaning it takes into account the effects of special relativity. It is also a wave equation, meaning it describes the behavior of a wave-like particle. Additionally, it is a second-order equation, meaning it requires two initial conditions to solve.

5. What are some applications of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation has been used in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It has been used to study the behavior of particles in accelerators, as well as the evolution of the early universe. It has also been applied in condensed matter physics to study the behavior of superconductors and superfluids.