Understanding μk

1. I'm currently a first year physics student and missed some nets and concepts and need help before exams. It would be a HUGE help if someone could explain it to me and how to use it to find things like Fn and a→ when mass and μk is given. Please i really could use this info and thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF;
    By ##\mu_k## do you mean the coefficient of kinetic friction?
    It's used the same way as any coefficient of friction.

You use friction as an additional force in the free-body diagram.
    People tend to trip up on the direction (it changes if the velocity changes direction) and on the transition between kinetic and static cases.

See:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict.html

Hyperphysics appears to repeat an "obsolete idea" about friction re surface roughness.
    See: http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon4.html#fric
    ... does not affect the calculation though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. yeah i was talking about it as as a coefficient of friction kinetic friction and thanks for the help!

5. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm impressed you were able to decode that, Simon! I didn't have a clue what the OP was asking... :smile:

6. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@T_razz: no worries, do some examples and let me know if you get stuck.

@berkeman: experience :D
    I need to edit my original reply slightly though: the coefficient is not the force. I'm sure nobody got confused...

7. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,698
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Psychic?

8. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I dunno - lets see... ummmm... I'm picking up an impression of a square or rectangle of light in front of you... also a general blockyness like an ordered cubism regularly under your hands.
    There's another in the background - it's fuzzy - associated with the letter D or C.
    Does this make any sense to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted