What is the concept of monotone limits?

• I
  • Thread starter jdou86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of monotone limits, which are defined as the union of a non-decreasing flag of subsets or the intersection of a non-increasing flag of subsets. The book "A Probability Path" explains this concept in more detail, distinguishing between monotone increasing and monotone decreasing limits. However, there may be some confusion if the book refers to both as "THE monotone limit".
jdou86
TL;DR Summary
Hi all I would like to understand this concept please help.
Summary: Hi all I would like to understand this concept please help.

I understand the montonic convergence theorem this is from a probability theory book and I am confused on understanding it. Please help me understand it.

Thank you very much,Jon.

Physics news on Phys.org
You leave a bit of guesswork here: what is ##\mathcal{C}##, is the assumed order given by inclusion, and what is the purpose of these limits?

Anyway, the most likely interpretation is a definition of the term monotone limit.

Given a non-decreasing flag of subsets ##A_1\subseteq A_2 \subseteq \ldots A_n \subseteq \ldots \,##, i.e. the set ##A_{n+1}## which follows ##A_n## is either equal to ##A_n## or properly includes ##A_n##, then the union of all is called (defined) the monotone limit of ##\{\,A_n\,:\,n\in \mathbb{N}\,\}##.
Notation: ##\lim_{n\to \infty}A_n = \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n##

Given a non-increasing flag of subsets ##A_1\supseteq A_2 \supseteq \ldots A_n \supseteq \ldots \,##, i.e. the set ##A_{n+1}## which follows ##A_n## is either equal to ##A_n## or properly included in ##A_n##, then the intersection of all is called (defined) the monotone limit of ##\{\,A_n\,:\,n\in \mathbb{N}\,\}##.
Notation: ##\lim_{n\to \infty}A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n##

I'm not sure what the book actually says, but to call both by the same name can be confusing. In both cases, it is the set at the "end" of the flags, the set which either includes all ##A_n##, resp. the set that is included in all ##A_n##.

• Informative
Likes jdou86 and Klystron
ah than you very much that helpt me understood it, here are some supplimentary info in case you want it. It's a book called a probability path intended for grad students.

Thanks,
Jon

I agree. If the book calls both these "THE monotone limit", this is a linguistic error, since there are two of them.

The first one should be called "The monotone increasing limit", and the second "The monotone decreasing limit", or something like that.

Erland said:
I agree. If the book calls both these "THE monotone limit", this is a linguistic error, since there are two of them.

The first one should be called "The monotone increasing limit", and the second "The monotone decreasing limit", or something like that.
thankfully he called it monotone limits

1. What is a monotone limit?

A monotone limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence or function as its input values increase without bound. It refers to the limit of a sequence or function as the input values approach infinity.

2. How is a monotone limit different from a regular limit?

A monotone limit is a special case of a regular limit, where the sequence or function is monotonically increasing or decreasing. This means that the values of the sequence or function are either always increasing or always decreasing as the input values increase. In contrast, a regular limit can have more complex behavior as the input values approach the limit.

3. What is the importance of understanding monotone limits?

Understanding monotone limits is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to analyze the behavior of sequences and functions that are monotonically increasing or decreasing. This can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of these systems in the long term.

4. How do you determine if a sequence or function has a monotone limit?

To determine if a sequence or function has a monotone limit, you can look at its behavior as the input values increase. If the values are always increasing or always decreasing, then it has a monotone limit. You can also use mathematical tools such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem to prove the existence of a monotone limit.

5. Can a sequence or function have multiple monotone limits?

No, a sequence or function can only have one monotone limit. This is because the monotone limit is a unique value that describes the behavior of the sequence or function as the input values approach infinity. However, it is possible for a sequence or function to have multiple regular limits, which may or may not be equal to the monotone limit.