What is the meaning of g: [a, b] → R in set notation?

• Thread starter RMalayappan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses a search for understanding of notation, specifically g: [a, b] → R, which may mean "defined on [a,b] in the real numbers". The speaker also asks for resources to learn this type of notation, but the other person is unable to suggest any references. However, the speaker later finds the information in an intro to real analysis, which seems to have all the necessary information.
RMalayappan
I've been looking around a few places to try to understand some notation. I'm not sure exactly what to call it(set notation?) but basically things like g: [a, b] → R and stuff like that. I think it means something like g is defined on [a,b] in the real numbers, but is there a resource I can use to learn this type of notation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi RM:

I think your interpretation of the example is correct. However, the → might mean into rather than onto.

Unfortunately, notations have changed since I learned them, and I can't suggest any references.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up finding the information in an intro to real analysis, which looks like it has everything I need.

What is notation?

Notation is a standardized system of symbols and characters used to represent mathematical, scientific, musical, or other concepts and ideas.

Why is understanding notation important?

Understanding notation is important because it allows scientists to communicate complex ideas and data in a concise and precise manner. It also helps with organization and makes it easier to analyze and manipulate data.

What are some common types of notation used in science?

Some common types of notation used in science include mathematical notation (such as symbols for operations and equations), chemical notation (such as elemental symbols and chemical formulas), and scientific notation (used to represent very large or very small numbers).

How can I improve my understanding of notation?

One way to improve your understanding of notation is to practice and familiarize yourself with various types of notation. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help you learn and reinforce your understanding.

Are there any common pitfalls when working with notation?

Yes, some common pitfalls when working with notation include misinterpreting symbols, using incorrect notation for a specific concept, and making errors in calculations due to incorrect use of notation. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the specific notation used in your field of study.