1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding of Entropy. Been thinking about it for 2 days and couldn't understand

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    Hi,

My name is Brad and I am a graduate electrical engineering student. Recently I wanted to go back and review and patch some holes in my head about fundamentals of physics. Therefore, I went back to my textbook Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics by Serwey and Jewett, 7th ed. I wanted to understand a few questions I had about thermodynamics from years ago, and more specifically, about entropy.

In the text, it states that entropy is a state variable; therefore, we can find some path of reversible process that leads from one state to the next to calculate it. It never stated why it is a state variable or why the reversible path will work for irreversible or real processes. I can certainly calculate it. However, my understanding about this particular section is frustratingly vague. Please enlighten me Q_Q... Thank you.

Brad

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
  4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    Re: Understanding of Entropy. Been thinking about it for 2 days and couldn't understa

i guess entropy of the total universe if not reversible, but entropy of a particular system is reversible.

so if you made your desk messy, you can make it tidy again in a completely reversible fashion, but in the process introducing more entropy into the universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook