Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding phonons

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm making my way through 'The Trouble with Physics' and am getting my head around phonons.

It sounds to me like
    - phonons are a sort of virtual particle that results from emergent properties of the underlying forces
    - (IMHO) photons-as-particles could be considered phonons resulting from the underlying electromagnetic wave (thus the dual nature of light)
    - (IMHO) the current flow in a wire in the positive direction (i.e. opposite the movement of electrons) is actually a moving "electron hole", and this moving positive charge can be considered as a (positively-charged) phonon particle.

Am I barking mad?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I always thought that phonons where just a quantumized form of vibrations in matter. In other words, packets of vibrations, just like photons can be thought of as packets of EM waves.

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ah. OK, so it's limited to sound-like propogation. That does gel with what the book was saying, I was over-enthusiastic.

5. Apr 14, 2007 #4
    More precisely: sound-like propagation is only a particular kind. Phonons are linkened to vibrations but these can be acustical or optical. You find difference in a bi-atomic chain in which vibrations take place in-phase or out of phase. Modes can be longitudinal or transverse. Phonons are optical with an interaction with em field occurs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook