1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Plate Boundaries

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. I would like you to find and describe an area of the world for each of the types of plate boundary combinations introduced in class today (you should have 4 total locations):

(1) Ridge-Fault

(2) Fault-Trench (fault on concave side of trench)

(3) Fault-Trench (fault on convex side of trench)

(4) Ridge-Trench

xid-49546718_2.jpg
    Ridge = Red
    Trench = Blue
    Transform = green.

2. Once you have made a plot of global plate boundaries, I would like you to find and describe an area of the world for each of the types of plate boundary combinations introduced in class today (you should have 3 total locations):

(1) Ridge-Fault-Ridge
    (2) Ridge-Fault-Trench
    Since there are two types of case (2), describe whether the fault should be growing, or shrinking.
    (3) Trench-Fault-Trench

Since there are three types of case (3), describe whether the fault should be growing, shrinking, or remaining the same size. Record your answers below:

2. Relevant equations

N/a, or at least, nothing relevant that I know of here.

3. The attempt at a solution

For 1. :
    Ridge = Red
    Trench = Blue
    Transform = green.

1) Ridge Fault --> Mid Ocean Ridge East of North America
    2) Fault-Trench (fault on concave side of trench) --> South Africa where blue and green mix.
    3) Fault-Trench (fault on convex side of trench) --> South of South America where blue and green mix
    4) Ridge-Trench --> south of India where red and blue mix

For 2. :
    1) Red-green-Red (Ridge-Fault-Ridge) is located in the middle of the Atlantic (The Mid Ocean Ridge).
    2) Ridge-Fault-Trench (Red-Green-Blue) is located

Well, and here's where I am confused. This material is rather new to us(class) me, so bare with me. Your help/guidance is appreciated.

My questions:
    1) Is my answer for 1 correct? How can I tell what is a concave or convex side of trench?
    2) How do I go about this problem? In my attempt at 2 I was noting that Red-green-red meant Ridge-Fault-Ridge, but I can't seem to really go further here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

RJLiberator

Gold Member

A friendly bump to see if anyone has any links or PDF files describing anything in relation to this study.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted