1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding pV Diagrams

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1

Part D
    Calculate the work W done by the gas during process 1\rightarrow3\rightarrow6.
    Express your answer in terms of p_0 and V_0.

Okay so I know that W = p*deltaV, but p is not constant in this case, so what do I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    W = p*deltaV only holds for the case of constant p, that is true.

What is the general form of the work eqn. that holds for all types of paths? (Hint: It also invloves p and V, and it must reduce to the W = p*deltaV, when p is constant)
  4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Is it W = p1V1 - p2V2?
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    No, recall that work done is given by W = F.x, hence dW = F.dx, where dx is a infinitesimal displacement in the direction of the force.

For ideal gases, F = pA, hence dW = pA.dx, or dW = p.dV.

Work is then found from integrating p.dV, with respect to V from Vfinal to Vinitial, which can be interpreted as the area under the pV graph
  6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    So pV from Vi to Vf, but isn't p still constant in this case?

The graph indicates that p is NOT constant.
  7. Dec 1, 2008 #6
    no, p as indicated in this equation of the general case, is a function of V.
  8. Dec 1, 2008 #7
    okay let's say from 1 to 3, pressure is decreasing from 3p to 2p, how would I apply that to pV| from Vi to Vf?

p(3V) - p(2V)?
  9. Dec 1, 2008 #8
    Integration between two points of a function can be simplified by taking the area under the curve. Because, the graph is linear, it is very easy to find the value of the integral from 1 - 3 - 6, because the area under the curve is a trapezium (or trapezoid).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?