Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Quantum Tunneling

1. Oct 21, 2003 #1
    Richard.P.Feynman once said "I think it would be safe for me to say that no one in this world understands Quantum Mechanics". Such an amazing theory Quantum Mechanics is, yet hard to understand. Quantum Tunneling has always been given in small portions of many text books and details have not been covered so as to aid better understanding of the Concept.In this article I have made an attempt to provide a better understanding of Tunneling. Go along read it...

http://physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=173

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No offense to either you or Sridhar Narayanan, but I'm not very impressed. The writing is childlike and full of grammatical and syntactic errors. Why has he capitalized Potential Barriers and Electric Field?

His entire argument seems to come down to this statement:
    ....and needless say, I don't think this is a particularly elegant or even correct way of explaining this to anyone.

Don't you have any referrees Greg? Or at least a copy editor?

- Warren

4. Oct 21, 2003 #3
    Good to see you also say what's on your mind on this forum, Warren ;).

Bye!

Crisp

5. Oct 21, 2003 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of it contents of the article could be summed up much more succinctly by simply saying: "quantum mechanical tunnelling allows the wavefunction to penetrate classically forbidden areas and hence pass through potential barriers" to say why it is the case you need a more comphrehensive and technical explanation.

Also it's a cardinal sin in physics to captilize the wrong letters ( while I'm at it use subscript otherwise it's diffcult to tell whether the number is for identification or whether it's a mutiple and you've assigned velocity and potential the same letter).

6. Oct 22, 2003 #5
    I appreciate this to be the case for some values such as 'g' or 'G' but is it that important for written words? For example is it Physics or physics?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just not sure about the 'cardinal sin ' bit. Sadly, I had a modern 1960s education, where rules of grammar went out of the window and 'expression' was the important thing. As such I'd be interested to hear more about your statement above.
    When is it just poor English (I can cope with that) but more importantly, when is it poor Physics?

7. Oct 22, 2003 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, for example he captialized, the v for velocity (he also had capital V for potential, which is correct), the m for mass (which is someimes acceptable though) and the p for momentum.

This makes equations a lot more difficult to read as you no longer know intutively which letter represnets which quantity.

8. Oct 23, 2003 #7
    For everyone who are interested in quantum tunneling. Check this book!
    Quantum theory of tunneling written by Mohsen Razavy, World Scientific Pub
    This book describes how tunneling time may be defined and possibly speed of quantum tunneling is superluminal.

9. Oct 23, 2003 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The letter used for most physical quantities is unique an exception is k, it is used for both spring constant in Hook's Law and wavenumber in the wave equation, this can be a real nuisance when dealing with wave phenomena and springs.

10. Oct 25, 2003 #9

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many physical quantities use the same letters: angular frequency and angular velocity, moment of force, mutual induction and luminous exitance, etc. Though physical constants do tend to have unique letters (though often shared with physical quantites). k is also Boltzmann's constant just to confuse things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?