Understanding Quantum Tunneling

In summary, Richard.P.Feynman once said "I think it would be safe for me to say that no one in this world understands Quantum Mechanics". Such an amazing theory Quantum Mechanics is, yet hard to understand. Quantum Tunneling has always been given in small portions of many textbooks and details have not been covered so as to aid better understanding of the Concept.In this article I have made an attempt to provide a better understanding of Tunneling. Go along read it if you're interested.
Richard.P.Feynman once said "I think it would be safe for me to say that no one in this world understands Quantum Mechanics". Such an amazing theory Quantum Mechanics is, yet hard to understand. Quantum Tunneling has always been given in small portions of many textbooks and details have not been covered so as to aid better understanding of the Concept.In this article I have made an attempt to provide a better understanding of Tunneling. Go along read it...

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/you-will-not-tunnel-through-a-wall/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No offense to either you or Sridhar Narayanan, but I'm not very impressed. The writing is childlike and full of grammatical and syntactic errors. Why has he capitalized Potential Barriers and Electric Field?

His entire argument seems to come down to this statement:
The electron out of sheer curiosity tries to cross the potential and gets trapped inside the potential
...and needless say, I don't think this is a particularly elegant or even correct way of explaining this to anyone.

Don't you have any referrees Greg? Or at least a copy editor?

- Warren

Good to see you also say what's on your mind on this forum, Warren ;).

Bye!

Crisp

Most of it contents of the article could be summed up much more succinctly by simply saying: "quantum mechanical tunnelling allows the wavefunction to penetrate classically forbidden areas and hence pass through potential barriers" to say why it is the case you need a more comphrehensive and technical explanation.

Also it's a cardinal sin in physics to captilize the wrong letters ( while I'm at it use subscript otherwise it's diffcult to tell whether the number is for identification or whether it's a mutiple and you've assigned velocity and potential the same letter).

Originally posted by jcsd

Also it's a cardinal sin in physics to captilize the wrong letters

I appreciate this to be the case for some values such as 'g' or 'G' but is it that important for written words? For example is it Physics or physics?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just not sure about the 'cardinal sin ' bit. Sadly, I had a modern 1960s education, where rules of grammar went out of the window and 'expression' was the important thing. As such I'd be interested to hear more about your statement above.
When is it just poor English (I can cope with that) but more importantly, when is it poor Physics?

No, for example he captialized, the v for velocity (he also had capital V for potential, which is correct), the m for mass (which is someimes acceptable though) and the p for momentum.

This makes equations a lot more difficult to read as you no longer know intutively which letter represnets which quantity.

For everyone who are interested in quantum tunneling. Check this book!
Quantum theory of tunneling written by Mohsen Razavy, World Scientific Pub
This book describes how tunneling time may be defined and possibly speed of quantum tunneling is superluminal.

The letter used for most physical quantities is unique an exception is k, it is used for both spring constant in Hook's Law and wavenumber in the wave equation, this can be a real nuisance when dealing with wave phenomena and springs.

Many physical quantities use the same letters: angular frequency and angular velocity, moment of force, mutual induction and luminous exitance, etc. Though physical constants do tend to have unique letters (though often shared with physical quantites). k is also Boltzmann's constant just to confuse things.

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does quantum tunneling occur?

Quantum tunneling occurs when a particle interacts with a potential energy barrier. The particle's wave function extends into the barrier, allowing for a small probability of the particle to tunnel through the barrier and appear on the other side.

3. What is the significance of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as radioactive decay, nuclear fusion, and the operation of electronic devices like transistors. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles on a nanoscale, which is essential in the field of quantum computing.

4. Can quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

While quantum tunneling is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, it is not easily observable in everyday life. The effects of quantum tunneling are usually only seen at the microscopic level, and require specialized equipment to detect.

5. How does quantum tunneling impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum tunneling challenges our classical understanding of the universe, where particles are expected to follow a linear and predictable path. It also highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where a particle's behavior cannot be precisely determined. The study of quantum tunneling has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.