Understanding Redshift: Mathias' 15-Year-Old Query

• Thread starter MathiasArendru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary, the speaker is discussing the concept of redshift and how it relates to the frequency and wavelength of photons emitted from stars. They question why the photon's wavelength would increase as it travels through expanding space. The expert summarizer notes that the wavelength of the photon is continually stretched as it travels, causing a decrease in frequency, similar to a guitar string being stretched.
MathiasArendru
Hello guys!

I know what redshift is and all concerning it, so i have a good understanding of it. Though there is something that my 15 year old little head can't really seem to understand... When a star emits its photon, it travels to us and due to the accelerating distance between it and us, the light is redshifted because it has to strech out its wave and therefore the wavelengt increases. To me, for this to make sence, the photon would have to have a set amount of frequences associated with it in the moment it gets emitted, and therefore the wavelenght has to get streched out.

For example the first light year this light beam travels, it has a frequency and wavelenght. When this photon has traveled the distance that was between the star and us, the moment it was emitted, it haven't reached us due to expansion. But at this point it still has the same frequency and wavelength. But when it then travels further and reaches us, it is redshifted or streched out sort of. What makes this happen!? Why doesn't it just continue with its frequency and wavelength.

I know I am going to get some responses saying that i should try not to think of it as either a photon or a wave, and i have no matter what i imagine i don't see why this has to happen.

Thanks in advance, Mathias

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MathiasArendru said:
When this photon has traveled the distance that was between the star and us, the moment it was emitted, it haven't reached us due to expansion. But at this point it still has the same frequency and wavelength.
This isn't what happens.

The wavelength gets stretched continually as the light travels - by 1/144th of a percent per million light-years, iirc. Every bit of distance it covers adds a bit to its wavelength(therefore reducing frequency). It's as if the space was being stretched underneath, similar to a guitar string getting longer as you move your fingers up the instrument's neck - the standing wave in the string gets longer with it, producing lower frequency sounds.

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from distant objects in the universe appears to be shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is due to the Doppler effect, which occurs when objects are moving away from each other at high speeds.

2. How does redshift help us understand the universe?

Redshift allows us to measure the speed and distance of objects in the universe. By studying the amount of redshift in light from distant objects, we can determine how fast they are moving away from us and how far away they are. This helps us understand the expansion of the universe and the distribution of matter within it.

3. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift?

Redshift occurs when an object is moving away from us, causing its light to shift towards the red end of the spectrum. Blueshift, on the other hand, occurs when an object is moving towards us, causing its light to shift towards the blue end of the spectrum. Both are caused by the Doppler effect, but in opposite directions.

4. How can we measure redshift?

Redshift is typically measured using spectroscopy, which involves breaking down light into its component wavelengths. The amount of redshift can be determined by comparing the observed wavelengths of light to the expected wavelengths. This can also be done through the use of redshift surveys, which measure the distribution of galaxies and their redshift values.

5. What does redshift tell us about the age of the universe?

The amount of redshift in light from distant objects can be used to calculate the age of the universe. This is because the further away an object is, the longer it takes for its light to reach us. By measuring the redshift of objects at different distances, we can estimate the age of the universe and the rate of its expansion over time.