Why Does an Inductor Behave Differently from a Resistor in an RL Circuit?

• Thread starter hopkinmn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: This means that if you have a circuit with an inductor, and you quickly change the current flow, the inductor will resist the change for a while.
hopkinmn

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding how RL circuits work. Here's my understanding so far. Let me know where I'm going wrong. I've provided a reference image.

Right after the switch is closed, the current through R1 and R2 is zero. The potential difference for these two resistors is also zero. The inductor has a current . The potential difference across the inductor is equal to Vemf.

But why is it that the current through R2 is zero, but there is current through the inductor?Shouldn't they be the same since they are in series?

Homework Equations

V=IR

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 7.31.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 7.31.38 PM.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Inductors appear as open circuits to abrupt changes in potential, not short circuits. It's capacitors that look like short circuits under those circumstances.

So... for the instant after the switch is closed, erase L from the circuit and then analyze! :wink:

So then as time goes to infinity, does the current through the inductor go to zero?

Also, for this different circuit, suppose the switch has been closed for a long time and then reopened. Upon reopening, the currents through the three resistors would be V/Rx, where x is 1, 2, or 3.
After the switch has been opened for a long time, does the inductor act as the battery for the right side? So that I1=0, but I2=I3=some value?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 7.58.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 7.58.08 PM.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 237
hopkinmn said:
So then as time goes to infinity, does the current through the inductor go to zero?

No, as time goes to infinity the inductor behaves like a short circuit.

hopkinmn said:
Also, for this different circuit, suppose the switch has been closed for a long time and then reopened. Upon reopening, the currents through the three resistors would be V/Rx, where x is 1, 2, or 3.
No, when the switch opens R1 is no longer in a closed circuit; there's nowhere for current to flow. Current through the other resistors will depend upon the energy stored in the inductor -- inductor current does not "want" to change immediately, so its current must take whatever paths are available to it when the switch opens.
After the switch has been opened for a long time, does the inductor act as the battery for the right side? So that I1=0, but I2=I3=some value?
You haven't indicated what i1, i2, or i3 are, so it's difficult to comment...
But for the given circuit with the switch open, with no constant supply of power to the right hand side of the circuit, any energy stored in the inductor must eventually be lost as power is dissipated by the resistors as current flows.

If I wanted to calculate the Inductor's equivalent resistance at a given time after the circuit closes, how would I do that?

This is how inductors act as filters, correct? By allowing slow pulses but resisting the rate of change required by fast pulses?

Quantus said:
If I wanted to calculate the Inductor's equivalent resistance at a given time after the circuit closes, how would I do that?
Determine the current through and potential across the inductor for a given time. Equivalent resistance is the Potential/Current.

This is how inductors act as filters, correct? By allowing slow pulses but resisting the rate of change required by fast pulses?
More or less, yes. Inductors resist quick changes in current (sort of a "current inertia").

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). The inductor is made up of a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. The resistor, on the other hand, resists the flow of electric current.

2. How does an RL circuit work?

In an RL circuit, the inductor and resistor are connected in series, meaning that the current must pass through both components. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the inductor initially resists the change in current and creates a back-emf (electromotive force) that opposes the applied voltage. As the current continues to flow, the inductor's magnetic field builds up and the back-emf decreases. Eventually, the circuit reaches a steady state where the back-emf is equal to the applied voltage and the current remains constant.

3. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit reaches its steady state. It is calculated by multiplying the inductance (L) of the circuit by the resistance (R) of the resistor. The time constant is represented by the symbol τ (tau) and is measured in seconds.

4. How does the time constant affect an RL circuit?

The time constant determines how quickly the current in an RL circuit reaches its steady state. A larger time constant means a slower rate of change in the current, while a smaller time constant means a faster rate of change. This can affect the behavior of the circuit, such as how quickly it responds to changes in voltage or how quickly it reaches its maximum current.

5. What are some real-world applications of RL circuits?

RL circuits have many practical applications, such as in power supplies, electric motors, and transformers. They are also commonly used in electronic devices like radios, televisions, and computers. In addition, RL circuits are used in various scientific and industrial equipment, such as in medical imaging devices and electric generators.