Understanding satellite orbits

In summary, satellites do not have a single preferred orbit plane, but there are various factors that can influence their chosen path. Some common reasons include their launch site location, the need for global coverage, and the Earth's rotation. Most satellites will travel from west to east, and the minimum inclination for a launch from the Kennedy Space Center is 30 degrees north.
DecayProduct
This is nothing so involved as the actual mechanics of orbit. I'm just curious, is there a preferred plane that satellites orbit in? I ask because on my frequent stargazings, after my eyes are VERY well adjusted to the dark, I can see what I assume to be satellites moving pretty quickly across the sky. Some of them are very faint, and I can only track them by keeping them in that "sweet spot" in my vision slightly off of directly looking at them.

The paths they take are mostly north-west. My question stems from the fact that some of them have paths that are at angles to this, such as north-east at about 30 degrees between the two.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no single preferred plane, but there may be any number of specific reasons for the plane of a particular satellite:

-The plane intersected the Kennedy Space Center (or another launch site) and the center of the Earth at the time of the launch.
-The plane is at the equator (for geostationary satellites).
-The planes of constellations of multiple satellites intersect in ways that provide the best global coverage.
-The plane intersects the poles (for satellites requiring a polar orbit).

I'm sure there are many other reasons for chosing a plane. Most satellites will, however, travel from west to east due to the rotation of the Earth being used to assist their launch. And since the Kennedy space center is at 30 degrees north latitude, that's the minimum inclination for a launch that doesn't require a course correction. Ie, if a launch is made due east from the Kennedy space center and follows a circular path, it will oscillate betwen 30 degrees north and 30 degrees south latitude.

1. What is a satellite orbit?

A satellite orbit is the path that a satellite follows around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It is the result of the satellite's velocity and the gravitational pull of the celestial body.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between their forward velocity and the gravitational pull of the celestial body they are orbiting. This results in a constant state of free fall, allowing the satellite to continuously orbit without falling back to Earth.

3. What factors affect a satellite's orbit?

Several factors can affect a satellite's orbit, including the mass of the celestial body it is orbiting, the altitude of the orbit, and the shape of the orbit. Other factors, such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation, and gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, can also impact a satellite's orbit.

4. How are satellite orbits measured?

Satellite orbits are measured using a variety of tools and techniques, including ground-based tracking systems, radar, and GPS. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to accurately predict and track the orbits of satellites.

5. Why do satellites have different types of orbits?

Satellites have different types of orbits to serve different purposes. For example, low Earth orbit is typically used for communication and observation satellites, while geostationary orbit is used for weather and navigation satellites. Each type of orbit has its own advantages and disadvantages, making them suitable for different tasks.