1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding series?

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Understanding series?????

The question in the book states Find the values of x for which the series converges, Find the sum of the series for those valuese of x

this is the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{3^n}[/tex]

first of all I dont even really understand what its saying, is it saying find the sum and set x equal to it.? The first thing I did was write out the first few terms [tex][\frac{x}{3}],[\frac{x^2}{9}],[\frac{x^3}{27}][/tex] so this thing is geometric and [tex]a=\frac{x}{3}[/tex] with the ratio [tex]r=\frac{x}{3}[/tex] am I assuming that that the ratio is less than one b/c if not you cant even go anyfurther can you? well anyway after that by using the [tex]\frac{a}{1-r}[/tex] theorm I get [tex]\frac{x}{3-x}[/tex] where do I go from here? Im pretty confused :confused: If this was a series with real numerical values I would have been done with the question b/c I have already fournd the sum...but what next...should there be another function that I set this equal to to get the "values of x" that the book wants

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2
    I unfortunately haven't done series for a couple years, but I definitely know that r<1 in order for the series to converge, which would lead me to believe that 0<x<3 maybe? or 0 < or = x < 3 ?

I guess from there you would have x^n/3^n = (x/3)^n, where you could then apply your summation of geometric series rule, where r = x/3 (given any x in the interval defined above), and a_0 = x/3. So,

(x/3)/ [1-(x/3)] = x/(3-x), for x >/= 0, x<3. Maybe?

4. Nov 8, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You correctly recognized it as a geometric series.

For which values of r does [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}r^n[/itex] converge?

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    those whose absolute values are less then one...should i set my equation equal to 1?

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know a geometric series converges for |r|<1.
    You also identified your series as a geometric series with [itex]r=\frac{x}{3}[/itex].

If the series converges for [itex]|r|<1[/itex] and [itex]r=\frac{x}{3}[/itex] for what values of x does the series converge?

7. Nov 8, 2004 #6
    for [tex]\frac{x}{3}<1[/tex] i dont know how to put in the absoulute value signs so imagine that fraction has an abs sign :redface: and that comes out to be [tex]x<3[/tex] :rofl: Yippy! is that my answer? Seems to be correct :rolleyes:

8. Nov 9, 2004 #7

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep :smile:
    Since [itex]|r|=|\frac{x}{3}|[/itex]
    [tex]|r|<1 \iff |x/3|<1 \iff |x|<3[/tex]

I just use pipelines for absolute values. (shift+backslash)

9. Nov 9, 2004 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's relatively easy to show that any power series (i.e. anything of the form [itex]\Sigma a_n x^n [/itex]) has a "radius of convergence": a number r such that the series converges absolutely for |x| < r, diverges for |x|> r and may or may not converge for |x|= r. Often the simplest way to find the radius of convergence is to use the "ratio test"- a series [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] converges if [itex]lim\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}< 1[/itex] and diverges if that limit is larger than 1.

In this particular example, [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{3^n}[/itex], the ratio becomes [itex]\frac{|x^{n+1}|}{3^{n+1}}\frac{3^n}{|x^n|}= \frac{|x|}{3}[/itex]. The series converges if [itex]\frac{|x|}{3}< 1[/itex] or |x|< 3. Of course, as was pointed out before, this is really a geometric series.

Another example might be [itex]\Sigma\frac{x^n}{n}[/itex]. Now the ratio becomes [itex]\frac{|x^{n+1}|}{n+1}\frac{n}{|x^n|}= \frac{n||x}{n+1}[/itex]. The limit of that as n goes to infinity is just |x| so we must have |x|< 1. The radius of convergence is 1.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  10. Nov 9, 2004 #9
    [tex]\frac{|x^{n+1}|}{n+1}\frac{n}{|x^n|}= \frac{n|x|}{n+1}[/tex]

is that what you ment? I think your latex was wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?