Understanding set theory

1. I'm trying to prove something small with set theory and since I'm new to it, I've run into a problem. I can't understand what the following means exactly and how to proceed further. Or where the mistake is, if there is one. I think there is, because it seems... freaky.

[tex]x\notin\left(\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\cap C\right)[/tex]
    [tex]x\notin\left(\left(A\cup B\right)\setminus\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]
    [tex]\left(x\notin\left(A\cup B\right)\wedge x\in\left(A\cap B\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]
    [tex]\left(\left(\left(x\notin A\right)\vee\left(x\notin B\right)\right)\wedge\left(\left(x\in A\right)\wedge\left(x\in B\right)\right)\right)\wedge x\notin C[/tex]

I'd post the entire thing of which this is a small part of, but that's my homework and I don't want to get into the habit of having other people do my homework for me. Plus I want to learn how and why it works, not just do it.

2. jcsd
  3. matt grime

matt grime 9,395
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

consider this

x is not an element of UnV
    x is not an element of U AND x is not an element of V

you've said those two statements are equivalent (I think, since you've not actually said what your deductions are from line to line). find a counter example to show this is false.

negation switches conjunction and disjunction, or union and intersection.

similar observations hold for the other steps in your reasoning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?