Summary: please help me understand the following questions from Physics GRE test Thank you very much! To be honest i really hate this formalism. Memorizing such things is pain. but like everything it is what it is
Only problem 2. I understand some part of it
I understand that for the ground state l should be 0 in total, and we can use j = l + s to do the selection. But would you mind sharing your steps so that i can learn from it?
Question 2 is about addition of angular momentum. State (1) is the singlet state which contributes zero spin for the nucleus, it isn’t a possibility since you can’t get spin 3/2 by combining a spin 0 state with a spin 1/2 state. The next three states are the triplet spin 1 states which can give spin 3/2 when combined with the electron, however the last state is ruled out by the magnetic quantum number.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving