• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Understanding Spin in QM

Summary: please help me understand the following questions from Physics GRE test Thank you very much! To be honest i really hate this formalism. Memorizing such things is pain. but like everything it is what it is

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.12 AM.png

Attachments

Nugatory

Mentor
You will have to tell us more. Which parts don’t you understand? How far have you gotten trying to solve these problems yourself?

You will have to tell us more. Which parts don’t you understand? How far have you gotten trying to solve these problems yourself?
Only problem 2. I understand some part of it
I understand that for the ground state l should be 0 in total, and we can use j = l + s to do the selection. But would you mind sharing your steps so that i can learn from it?

Thank you very much!

Question 2 is about addition of angular momentum. State (1) is the singlet state which contributes zero spin for the nucleus, it isn’t a possibility since you can’t get spin 3/2 by combining a spin 0 state with a spin 1/2 state. The next three states are the triplet spin 1 states which can give spin 3/2 when combined with the electron, however the last state is ruled out by the magnetic quantum number.