How do I understand spin in quantum mechanics for Physics GRE question 2?

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help understanding questions on the Physics GRE test. The speaker expresses frustration with the formalism of the subject, but acknowledges the necessity of memorization. They then ask for clarification on problem 2, specifically regarding the addition of angular momentum. The expert provides a summary of the steps for solving the problem and thanks the expert for their help.
jdou86
Summary: please help me understand the following questions from Physics GRE test Thank you very much! To be honest i really hate this formalism. Memorizing such things is pain. but like everything it is what it is

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.12 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.45.05 AM.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to tell us more. Which parts don’t you understand? How far have you gotten trying to solve these problems yourself?

Nugatory said:
You will have to tell us more. Which parts don’t you understand? How far have you gotten trying to solve these problems yourself?
Only problem 2. I understand some part of it
I understand that for the ground state l should be 0 in total, and we can use j = l + s to do the selection. But would you mind sharing your steps so that i can learn from it?

Thank you very much!

Question 2 is about addition of angular momentum. State (1) is the singlet state which contributes zero spin for the nucleus, it isn’t a possibility since you can’t get spin 3/2 by combining a spin 0 state with a spin 1/2 state. The next three states are the triplet spin 1 states which can give spin 3/2 when combined with the electron, however the last state is ruled out by the magnetic quantum number.

1. What is spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin, in quantum mechanics, refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a fundamental property of particles, similar to mass and charge, and is always present regardless of the particle's motion or external forces.

2. How is spin measured in quantum mechanics?

Spin is measured in units of angular momentum, typically denoted as ℏ (h-bar). This unit is a combination of Planck's constant (h) and the reduced Planck's constant (ℏ=h/2π). Spin values can range from 0 to any integer or half-integer value, depending on the particle.

3. How does spin affect the behavior of particles?

Spin affects the behavior of particles in several ways. For example, it determines how particles interact with magnetic fields and how they can be polarized. Spin also plays a crucial role in determining the allowed energy levels of an atom or molecule, as well as the stability of certain particles.

4. Are there any differences between spin and orbital angular momentum?

Yes, spin and orbital angular momentum are two distinct types of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, while orbital angular momentum is associated with the motion of particles around a central point. Additionally, spin can only take on certain discrete values, while orbital angular momentum can take on any continuous value.

5. How is spin used in the Physics GRE question 2?

In Physics GRE question 2, spin is used to test your understanding of the properties and behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. The question may ask you to calculate the total spin of a system or determine the allowed energy levels of an atom based on its spin value. It is important to have a solid understanding of spin and its role in quantum mechanics to answer this type of question correctly.