Understanding spring mass system

In summary, when the mass is displaced by a force to the right, the spring stretches to a distance X.
chandran
I am just learining basic dynamics from spring mass system.
there is a horizontal spring fixed to the wall and a mass is at the end.
When the mass is displaced by a force F to the right the spring stretches to a distance X. Now i draw the STATIC FBD. The
eqn is f-kx=net force on the mass. Now i draw the kinetic diagram and the equation i derive is

f-kx=ma where a is the acceleration of the mass m. So for this spring mass system the dynamic equation is
f-kx-ma=0.

Is what i have done is true and correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the force acting continuously on the object...?Or it just stretches the string & let's it go to oscillate...?

That equation,vector or scalar,f-kx-ma=0 makes no sense...

Daniel.

Daniel.

chandran said:
When the mass is displaced by a force F to the right the spring stretches to a distance X. Now i draw the STATIC FBD. The
eqn is f-kx=net force on the mass. Now i draw the kinetic diagram and the equation i derive is

f-kx=ma where a is the acceleration of the mass m. So for this spring mass system the dynamic equation is
f-kx-ma=0.

Yes, it is correct as long the hand pulling the mass is not releasing it.

[tex]F - kx = 0[/tex]

chandran said:
eqn is f-kx=net force on the mass.
This is just a statement that the net force on the mass equals f - kx.
Now i draw the kinetic diagram and the equation i derive is

f-kx-ma=0.
Now you've applied Newton's 2nd law: Net Force = ma. Note that rewriting it as "Net Force - ma = 0" adds nothing.

If the mass is in equilibrium, then f - kx = 0; if not, then it will accelerate.

chandran said:

f-kx-ma=0.

Here, you can learn more on basic dynamics. make sure that you are able to solve the given exercises...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72040

marlon

1. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and is often used to model the behavior of a wide range of mechanical systems.

2. How does a spring mass system work?

In a spring mass system, the mass is connected to the spring, which exerts a force on the mass when it is stretched or compressed. This force is proportional to the displacement of the mass and is described by Hooke's law.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a spring mass system?

The behavior of a spring mass system is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the system. The initial conditions, such as the displacement and velocity of the mass, also play a role.

4. How do you calculate the frequency of a spring mass system?

The frequency of a spring mass system can be calculated using the equation f = 1 / (2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant. This equation is derived from the relationship between the mass, spring constant, and angular frequency of the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of spring mass systems?

Spring mass systems are commonly used in various engineering fields, such as robotics, automotive design, and aerospace. They are also used in everyday objects such as car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers.