Understanding the argument of the surface area integral

In summary: We know that:$$\bar x = \frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$$$\bar y = \frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$Then:$$(\frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA})(\frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}) = \bar x \bar y = \frac {\iint_A xy~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$
JD_PM

Homework Statement

Find ##\iint_S ydS##, where ##s## is the part of the cone ##z = \sqrt{2(x^2 + y^2)}## that lies below the plane ##z = 1 + y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have already posted this question on MSE: https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...e/3155634?noredirect=1#comment6498746_3155634

My issue is with ##\iint_S ydS =\sqrt{3} \int_A ydxdy=\sqrt{3}\, \bar{y}|A|##. Concretely, I do not get why ##\bar{y}## shows up.

My issue is that I still do not understand how to deal with the argument of the surface integral. Let's say we had for instance ##\iint_S xydS## or ##\iint_S y^2dS##. I wouldn't know how to proceed. I know it is somehow related to the centroid of the figure (in this case an elliptical cylinder).

Robert Z provided a short explanation but I do not get it...

May you please provide an explanation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I get what is confusing you. Let's say you have an ellipse for which you know the centroid (center). Say the center is at ##(c,d)## and the major and minor axes are ##a## and ##b## and you know the formula for the area of such an ellipse is ##\pi a b##. Now let's say you have an integral that you want to evaluate something like ##\iint_A y~ dA## over the elliptical area. That is going to be a bit of work, but you can save yourself the work because you know the formula for the ##y## centroid of area of a region is$$
\bar y = \frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$So instead of working your integral out just note you can solve this equation for ##\iint_A y~ dA## getting$$
\iint_A y~ dA = \bar y \cdot \text{Area of ellipse} = d \pi a b$$since ##d## is the ##y## coordinate of the center of the ellipse.

Likes JD_PM
LCKurtz said:
I think I get what is confusing you. Let's say you have an ellipse for which you know the centroid (center). Say the center is at ##(c,d)## and the major and minor axes are ##a## and ##b## and you know the formula for the area of such an ellipse is ##\pi a b##. Now let's say you have an integral that you want to evaluate something like ##\iint_A y~ dA## over the elliptical area. That is going to be a bit of work, but you can save yourself the work because you know the formula for the ##y## centroid of area of a region is$$
\bar y = \frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$So instead of working your integral out just note you can solve this equation for ##\iint_A y~ dA## getting$$
\iint_A y~ dA = \bar y \cdot \text{Area of ellipse} = d \pi a b$$since ##d## is the ##y## coordinate of the center of the ellipse.

Oh so if we were to have:

$$\iint_A yx~ dA$$

Could I do:

$$\iint_A yx~ dA = \bar y \bar x \cdot \text{Area of ellipse} = de \pi a b$$

?

I have just seen ##x##, ##y## and ##z## applied individually but not multiplying (that is why I am asking).

JD_PM said:
Oh so if we were to have:

$$\iint_A yx~ dA$$

Could I do:

$$\iint_A yx~ dA = \bar y \bar x \cdot \text{Area of ellipse} = de \pi a b$$

?

I have just seen ##x##, ##y## and ##z## applied individually but not multiplying (that is why I am asking).
You can probably answer that for yourself. You would be using a formula like this:$$
\bar x \bar y = \frac {\iint_A xy~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$You know the formulas for ##\bar x## and ##\bar y##. Put them in there and see if you think it is true.

Likes JD_PM
LCKurtz said:
You can probably answer that for yourself. You would be using a formula like this:$$
\bar x \bar y = \frac {\iint_A xy~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$You know the formulas for ##\bar x## and ##\bar y##. Put them in there and see if you think it is true.

OK so I think you may agree that:

$$\iint_A xy~ dA = \bar x \bar y \cdot \text{Area of ellipse} = cd \pi a b$$

JD_PM said:
OK so I think you may agree that:

You are just guessing. Until you show me what happens when you do what I suggested in the last line of post #4 you won't be able to do anything but guess. And you won't learn anything.

Likes JD_PM
LCKurtz said:
You are just guessing. Until you show me what happens when you do what I suggested in the last line of post #4 you won't be able to do anything but guess. And you won't learn anything.

We know that:

$$\bar x = \frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$$$\bar y = \frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$

Then:

$$(\frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA})(\frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}) = \bar x \bar y = \frac {\iint_A xy~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$

So this equality doesn't hold. Then the following is incorrect:

Then we have no alternative but work the integral out.

JD_PM said:
We know that:

$$\bar x = \frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$$$\bar y = \frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$

Then:

$$(\frac {\iint_A x~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA})(\frac {\iint_A y~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}) = \bar x \bar y = \frac {\iint_A xy~dA}{\iint_A 1~dA}$$

So this equality doesn't hold. Then the following is incorrect:

Then we have no alternative but work the integral out.
Good, that's a step in the right direction. So it looks like the equality doesn't hold. You do understand that "looks like" isn't a mathematical argument though, right? So what you should do now to really settle the matter for yourself is actually prove that it doesn't hold by working out a simple example and showing you get different numbers. Then you will KNOW it doesn't hold.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM

1. What is the surface area integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

The surface area integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the surface area of a three-dimensional object. It is different from a regular integral because it integrates over a surface rather than a one-dimensional line.

2. How is the surface area integral used in real-world applications?

The surface area integral is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the surface area of complex objects and to solve problems involving surface area, such as heat transfer and fluid flow.

3. What is the difference between a single and a double surface area integral?

A single surface area integral calculates the surface area of a two-dimensional object, while a double surface area integral calculates the surface area of a three-dimensional object. The double integral is used when the surface is curved or has varying surface area.

4. What are some common methods for evaluating a surface area integral?

Some common methods for evaluating a surface area integral include using parametric equations, converting to a double integral, and using the divergence theorem. It is important to choose the most appropriate method based on the specific problem at hand.

5. How does the orientation of the surface affect the surface area integral?

The orientation of the surface can affect the surface area integral in terms of the direction of the normal vector and the limits of integration. It is important to carefully consider the orientation when setting up and solving the integral to ensure an accurate result.