1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the Dirac delta

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Having trouble understanding dirac deltas, I understand what they look like and how you can express one (i.e. from the limiting case of a gaussian) but for the life of me I can't figure out why the results of some integrals featuring dirac deltas equate to what they do.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    An example of one particularly baffling to me is the following (given [itex]u=x+a[/itex], and [itex]du = dx[/itex]):

1) [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(u-a)du = f(x-a)[/itex],

especially when trying to compare to the 'standard' definition of how the dirac delta behaves under an integral:

2) [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-x_{0})f(x)dx = f(x_{0})[/itex],

in my mind it looks like 1) should be equal to [itex]f(u) = f(x+a)[/itex] because I look at it as [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(x)dx[/itex] and compare to 2).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try letting ##g(u) = f(u-a)## and then apply (2) with ##x = u##.

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    I don't follow? Why do I do this and also I don't understand, so I have ##\int^{\infty}_{\infty}\delta(x-u)g(u)du## but ##x=u## means I have ##\delta(0)##?

5. Apr 12, 2015 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think Orodruin just meant equation (2), but replace x with u, i.e.
    [tex]\int_\infty^\infty \delta (u-u_0) g(u) du = g(u_0)[/tex]
    now just use ##g(u)=f(u-a)## and continue from there.

6. Apr 13, 2015 #5
    ##\int_\infty^\infty \delta(u-u_0)f(u-a)du = f(u_0 - a)## I still don't understand? So ##\int_\infty^\infty \delta(x-u)f(x-a)dx = f(-u-a) = f(-x-2a)##

I think I'm seriously missing something :S

7. Apr 13, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are doing the wrong replacements in the functions. When you have a ##\delta(x-u)## and integrate with respect to ##x##, you need to replace all occurrences of ##x## in the other functions by ##u##, not by ##-u## as you did here.

Also, when you integrate with respect to ##x##, the result cannot possibly depend on ##x##. Keep track of what is your integration variables and what are free variables!

8. Apr 13, 2015 #7

BruceW

Homework Helper

This is the answer, but with ##u_0## replaced with ##x##.

Uh wait... I'm re-reading your first post. You say given ##u=x+a##, you want to find
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(u-a)du[/tex]
    But ##\delta(x-u)= \delta(-a)## So this will always be zero (assuming ##a## is some nonzero constant). So equation 1) will just be equal to zero if you want to impose the constraint ##u=x+a##. So I'm guessing you don't want to impose this constraint really, or the answer is not very interesting...

9. Apr 13, 2015 #8
    Is this because, ##\delta(x-u)## is a delta function centered on u? Is it sort of like an orthonormal function where if we turn the integral into a sum along ##x## then the only place where ##\delta(x-u)dx## is non-zero is at ##x=u##? So if we're essentially summing over ##\delta(x-u)g(u)## then you have ##0\times g(u)## for all ##u\neq x##? Then you get ##1\times g(x)##? So the integral equals ##g(x)##?

I understand it in this context - graphically, is this the only 'motivation' behind replacing blah with blahblah? I thought I was missing something analytic.

No I'm sorry I shouldn't have included ##u=x+a## that was used in the solutions to get to integral 1) and means nothing in the context of this question I suppose. Please see my above query to Orodruin regarding replacing things :)

10. Apr 13, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is essentially the way to understand it. In a more formal setting (distribution theory), the ##\delta## is simply defined such that
    $$
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x) \varphi(x) dx \equiv \varphi(0),
    $$
    where ##\varphi## is a "nice" function (infinitely differentiable with compact support).
    You can obtain the results for a delta offset from zero by a change of variables.

Edit: Just to mention, you do not get ##1 \times g##, you informally get ##\infty \times g##, but the infinity is only in one point and integrates to one. It therefore plays the same role as the Kronecker delta in countable sums.

11. Apr 13, 2015 #10
    Apologies that's what I meant, that the 'area' is then just 1 scaled by the 'area' of ##g(u)##. Thanks for all your help guys!

12. Apr 13, 2015 #11

BruceW

Homework Helper

good work! :) It's good to really think this stuff through.

13. Apr 13, 2015 #12
    Seriously, thanks for the help! I've got another question I've just posted over in advanced physics on the taylor expansion if you fancy it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted