1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the Fermi sphere

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    I'd really appreciate any insight on any of this since I've hit a wall. It is about the Fermi gas.
    ---
    My teacher did an example in class that didn't make much sense, and I'm trying to understand it. He had us take the real-part of the antiderivative of exp(ik(x-x'))dk, then evaluate it to obtain 2 functions, both like sinc functions. Tthe first is evaluated from 0 to k0 and I don't know if the other was supposed to be from 0 to 2k0 or k0 to 2k0 (that's part of my question). I assume we integrate the plane waves on these intervals because it's like periodic conditions in momentum-space since obviously integrating over all space is impractical since it would give a delta function... but why 0 to k0? Shouldn't it be -k0 to k0 for a sphere of radius k0? Otherwise, it seems like you are only getting half the sphere. What about the other integral, would it be 0 to 2k0 or k0 to 2k0? Are these probabilities? What are they physically?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?