Understanding the good effiency

1. What is the good efficiency of a product? How do you understand the term "good effiency"?
  2. jcsd
  3. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,084
    Science Advisor

Can you tell us where you have seen the term "good efficiency?" That is not a term used that I know of. You are undoubtedly referring to efficiency, of which there are MANY different forms and measures of efficiency.

If you can, please provide a bit more information on what it is you are looking at.
  4. I would say efficiency is quite simply the ratio of useful "stuff" over the total amount " stuff" available.

For example a light bulb has x amount of energy (electrical) available. It uses y amount of energy to produce light, therefore the efficiency is x/y x 100%.

Good efficiency is about improving this ratio towards 100%

Edit: Silly me, it should be y/x * 100%
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  5. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,084
    Science Advisor

I would like to see a reference to anything that uses the term "good efficiency."
  6. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,084
    Science Advisor

7. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I have never heard of "good efficiency" as a technical term. There is just efficiency, which is readily 'quantifiable'. However, there can be efficiencies of components or systems, and one can talk of 'net' or 'gross' depending on what is incorporated in the formula for efficiency.

"Good efficiency" sounds like a subjective term, where 'good' is simply an adjective.

Then there is the matter of 'reliability' or 'availability'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?