Can you deduce ##\tan(\theta) = \frac {df} {dx}## from this graph?

In summary, by drawing a vertical line through a point on a graph and considering the triangle formed by that point, the intersection of the vertical line with the x-axis, and the intersection of the tangent with the x-axis, we can deduce that the tangent of an angle is equal to the derivative of the function at that point. This is because a tangent has the same derivative as the function at the point where it touches the function. Additionally, the slope of the tangent line is equal to the tangent of the angle formed by the dotted line and the x-axis. This is applicable even if the line is not a radius of a circle.
I_laff
Could someone explain to me how from this graph you can deduce that ##\tan(\theta) = \frac {df} {dx}##.
Thanks

upload_2018-6-11_11-55-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-11_11-55-30.png
    upload_2018-6-11_11-55-30.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 749
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Draw a vertical line going through point P and consider the triangle made by P, the intersection of the vertical line with the x-axis and the intersection of the tangent with the x axis. Then take into account that a tangent has the same derivative as the function at the point where it touches the function (by definition).

I think it's by definition that CP and CQ are the same, line p denotes the circle, which has rise/slide df/dx as sin/cos which is tangent of the angle at P, which is the same angle as the dotted line makes with the x axis. If line p wasn't a radius, the slope would not be tan.

1. What is the purpose of "Understanding this graph"?

The purpose of "Understanding this graph" is to analyze and interpret data presented in a graphical format. It allows for a visual representation of data to be easily understood and compared.

2. How do I read and interpret a graph?

To read and interpret a graph, start by understanding the axes and labels. Then, look at the data points and determine the relationships between them. Finally, analyze any trends or patterns that may be present in the data.

3. Why is understanding graphs important in science?

Understanding graphs is important in science because it allows for a clear and concise representation of data. It also allows for comparisons and relationships between variables to be easily visualized and analyzed.

4. What are the different types of graphs used in science?

Some common types of graphs used in science include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, pie charts, and histograms. The type of graph used depends on the type of data being presented and the purpose of the graph.

5. How can I use "Understanding this graph" to draw conclusions and make predictions?

By understanding and analyzing graphs, you can draw conclusions and make predictions about the data being presented. This can help in making informed decisions and identifying trends or patterns that may be useful in predicting future outcomes.