Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding this saying

1. Feb 26, 2004 #1
    How can we understand this:

Only your mind can put an end to reality..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2
    I've never heard anything like that before...where'd you see that? In what context?
  4. Feb 26, 2004 #3
    btw, a possible understanding of that phrase is that your mind contains the full measure of your subjective experience, and your subjective experience is the entirety of your "reality"...so only the end of your mind will bring the end of your "reality".
  5. Mar 4, 2004 #4
    Sorry, Mentat. I had completely forgot about this thread.

No, this idea came to me on my way home from school. It is my idea, but I have not had the time to think deeper thoughts about it. Too much else on the schedule.
  6. Mar 4, 2004 #5
    I agree with all but the last part; "only the end of your mind."
    Through meditation we can end our present reality and temporarily enter another reality. Also meditation can change us and our thinking so much that our present reality ends to begin another more enlighted and all encompassing reality. As all of our reality is subjective changinge our thinking and attitudes changes our reality. This does nothing to change external reality only our understanding and relationship with reality.

As Robin Williams said; "Reality! What a concept!"
  7. Mar 5, 2004 #6
    Precisley. That was an answer I was looking for!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?