Understanding Torsion Elements

In summary, a zero divisor in a ring is an element that reduces the ring to zero when multiplied by any other element, while a torsion element in a module is an element that generates a subgroup of finite order.
CSteiner
So I've been studying advanced linear algebra and have started learning about modules. However, I am having a hard time understanding the difference between a zero divisor and a torsion elements. The definitions seem extremely similar. Can someone offer a good definition of each and an explanation of the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
i looked in atiyah macdonald and found this.

zero divisor is a concept applied to a ring, while torsion element is the analogous concept applied to a module. i.e. in a ring A, x is a zero divisor if xy=0 for some y≠0 in A.

If A is a ring and M is an A module, an element z of m is a torison element if xz=0 for some non zero divisor x in A.e.g. in an abelian group M, hence a module over the integers, an element z of M is torsion if and only if it generates a subgroup of finite order, i.e. if and only if nz = 0 for some n ≠0. in the integers there are of course no zero divisors (except 0).

Last edited:
Okay I think I understand now. However, I am noticing that the first definition invokes right multiplication whereas the second definition invokes left multiplication. In a module over a commutative ring this obviously won't make a difference, but is there some sort of subtle significance in the non commutative case?

i was thinking of the commutative case as i always do. (i read it in atiyah macdonald's book "commutative algebra".) in the non commutative case i suppose one has more notions, left zero divisor, right zero divisor, and a torsion element should be annihilated by a ring element which is neither i suppose, i.e. a "regular" element, but i am not an expert.

Okay, that makes sense, thanks!

there seems however to be some variation among different authors as Dummit and Foote e.g. define torsion elements more broadly, as any z such that xz=0 for a non zero element x of the ring, without requiring that x is not zero divisior. the more restriced definition came from a wiki article i found.

1. What is a torsion element?

A torsion element is an element in a mathematical group that has a finite order. In other words, when this element is repeatedly combined with itself, it eventually returns to the identity element of the group.

2. How is torsion related to rotation?

Torsion is a type of rotation, specifically a twisting or turning motion. In mathematics, it refers to the twisting or turning of an element in a group.

3. What properties do torsion elements have?

Torsion elements have a finite order, meaning they can only be combined with themselves a finite number of times before returning to the identity element. They also have a unique inverse element.

4. How do torsion elements affect the structure of a group?

Torsion elements play a crucial role in determining the structure of a group. They can create subgroups and influence the overall shape and behavior of the group.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding torsion elements?

Understanding torsion elements is important in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and cryptography. For example, torsion elements are used to study the structure of molecules and in the development of secure encryption algorithms.