1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    "Understanding"

First, let me state my conjecture:

"To understand a statement means only to be fully aware of it's implications."

Do you think understanding means something more? After all, it is possible in principle to teach a computer (by outright listing) the implications to any (and all?) statements. By my definition, I would accept that a computer can "understand" things (and therefore admit the computer is some kind of mind in the functionalist sense).

Do you know when it was realized that the heart was a pump? Not in any works of the classical anatomists; It took the invention of the pump (which revolutionized mining). Draw the analogy between computers and minds.

I don't think understanding means anything more than the definition I have offered, which applies from understanding love to understanding calculus. Von Neuman said:

"In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."

Upon reflection, I feel that this is true of life. If you have a concrete counter example (a type of understanding that is not encapsulated by my definition) or a alternate definition of "understanding", I would like to hear it (because I don't know how to prove my conjecture).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted