Exploring the Possibility of Breaking the Underwater Barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of breaking the sound barrier in water and whether it is physically possible for an object to move faster than water molecules. The discussion mentions the formation of a water shock wave, cavitation, and supercavitating torpedos as examples. It is clarified that the term "breaking the sound barrier" refers to breaking the speed of sound, not the speed of water molecules.
oozie1
[SOLVED] Underwater barrier

[?] Since I've been lookin a the concept and knowledge to what happens when the sound barrier gets broken and how it happens, it got me thinking about if the same thing can happen in water.
i.e. If an object was to move faster than the water molecues could move what would happen?
An if anything at all would it be physically possible.

----------OOZIE--------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
You would get a water shock wave forming at the bow of the object. Sonar wouldn't work (the sound would be going slower than the object).
You'd also get huge cavitation: localized drop in pressure would cause air to bubble out of the water (I don't know the technical term for the phenomena).

Do a search for 'supercavitating torpedos' for a real life example of this. Cool Stuff.

A couple of points: moving "faster than sound" means moving faster than a sound wave. It has nothing to do with "moving faster than water molecules".

The speed of sound increases as density of the medium increases so the speed of sound is greater in water than it is in air. At the same time, it is harder for a physical object to move through a denser medium. No boat or torpedo goes anywhere near the speed of sound. Propellors spinning rapidly can: that's where you get "super cavitation".

Actually, the supercavitating "torpedos" do move faster than sound in water, afaik.

They are shaped in such a way that a bubble of air cavitates around it, and it effectively turns into an underwater missile.

EDIT: You're right though, Ivy. Those "torpedos" (which are still in development) don't actually go faster than sound in water. They form a bubble of *not water* which they are going fast in.

Last edited:
[?] thanks for that and to the person above the post above.
I saw that definition of speed of sound. an i thought that the sound barrier is when an object moves faster than air particles can move. I was just asking if a similar effect happened in water i wasnt saying they were related!
Thanks both
-----------------------------OOZIE-----------------------

1. What is the "underwater barrier" and why is it significant in scientific research?

The underwater barrier refers to the limitations and challenges in exploring and studying the depths of the ocean. It is significant because the ocean covers about 71% of the Earth's surface and holds many mysteries and resources that can benefit human society.

2. What are some current methods or technologies being used to explore the underwater barrier?

Some current methods and technologies include submersibles and remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), underwater drones, and advanced sonar and imaging systems. These tools allow scientists to collect data, images, and samples from the ocean floor and deep-sea environments.

3. What are the potential benefits of breaking the underwater barrier?

Breaking the underwater barrier could lead to a better understanding of the ocean and its ecosystems, as well as potential discoveries of new species and resources. It could also help in developing technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources, as well as improving disaster prevention and response measures for underwater events.

4. What are the challenges and risks associated with breaking the underwater barrier?

Some challenges and risks include the high-pressure environment at extreme depths, limited access and visibility, and potential damage to delicate ecosystems. There may also be ethical considerations, such as disrupting natural environments and causing harm to marine life.

5. What are some potential future advancements in breaking the underwater barrier?

Some potential advancements could include the development of more advanced and efficient underwater vehicles and equipment, as well as improved deep-sea communication and navigation systems. There may also be advancements in biotechnology and biomimicry, using nature-inspired designs and materials to overcome challenges in exploring the ocean depths.