Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underwater Mass Driver

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    I have a question regarding the propagation of ferromagnetic materials via a coil gun or mass driver in an under water environment.

Would the surrounding water effect the firing and or power of the shot. I know the water resistance is one thing to overcome. I was counting on using this more as a simulation for weightlessness of space anyways.

So are their any special considerations when building a coil gun that would be used under water?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Water resistance is THE thing to overcome; it's orders of magnitude greater than air resistance for a given projectile. Consider that even the most energetic rifle bullets will only penetrate water to a depth of a few feet before running out of momentum (assuming they even survive entry intact).

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    Well you see I expected the water resistance. As I stated I am using this as an example of low gravity environments.

I was more worried about the possibility of the water and it's diamagnetic properties affecting the magnetic field that propels the ferromagnetic slug.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

I shouldn't think so. Ferromagnetism is so much stronger than diamagnetism that any possible adverse effects should pretty well disappear in the noise floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook