Calculating the Optimal Pace for Uneven Splits

• Thread starter eldrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, Keninisa Bekele, the double Olympic Champ at 5 & 10km, won a World Championship 10km with incredible splits of 14:00 & 13:00 for each 5k for a final clocking of 27:00. Many observers felt this performance was superior to the World Record ( obviously run at even pace ). The question is : Does anyone have a good method of working out theoretically what consecutive splits of 14:00 & 13:00 would imply for a race run at perfectly even pace from start to finish ?
eldrick
I hope someone can help me out with a question I've been trying to answer for quite some time with no success

A few years ago, Keninisa Bekele, the double Olympic Champ at 5 & 10km, won a World Championship 10km with incredible splits of 14:00 & 13:00 for each 5k for a final clocking of 27:00. The World Record at the time was 26:20 for 10km. Many observers felt this performance was superior to the World Record ( obviously run at even pace )

The question is :

Does anyone have a good method of working out theoretically what consecutive splits of 14:00 & 13:00 would imply for a race run at perfectly even pace from start to finish ?

I have tried various approaches using Kinetic Energies, but not really got anywhere.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you can really say in terms of physics, tt's more a question of physiology. Yes the second half was run at a pace which would have given a 26:00 record time - but he/she was presumably only able to run the second half at a 13:00 because they took the first half slowly, if they had run the first half at 13:00 they might only have been able to manage 15:00 for the second half.

I agree physiology is a huge factor

However, consider the same problem by replacing the human with a point mass. Is there a way of working out the overall hypothetical even pace

If you knew how energy consumption (ie power output) varied with speed for a human then you could work out what 'average' speed would use the same amount of energy.

I am trying to get a physics/mathematics perspective rather than a physiology one

mgb_phys said:
Not sure what you can really say in terms of physics, tt's more a question of physiology.

Exactly. The only "physics answer" (which is really a mathematics answer) is he can run a 10K in 27:00 or faster, and a 5K in 13:00 or faster.

If air drag for a runner were similar to automobiles, the power expended goes as speed cubed. (Stokes drag power goes as speed squared). A runner has a much higher drag coefficient than an automobile, but a smaller cross section. So Berkele ran a 10k at an average speed of 0.370k per minute. Let's use this as a reference power level

So running at two splits of 13.5 minutes the relative energy expended (REE) would be

REE = 13.5m x (.370/.370)3 + 13.5m x (.370/.370)3 = 27.00

and running splits of 14m (at .357 kpm) and 13m (at .385 kpm) would be

REE = 14m x (.357/.370)3 + 13m x (.385/.370)3 = 27.22

So more energy is expended if Berkele had run two splits at different speeds. This would imply that Berkele expended about 27.22/27 = 0.81% more energy (not power) than if he had run 2 even splits.

One of the reasons for uneven pace running is that the runner can use up "reserves" towards the end of a race, since there's no need for any "reserves" once the race is completed.

Bob S said:
If air drag for a runner...

I'd like to post some updates :

1) I think I have an answer for original question based on a very similar method to Bob's, from :

http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/rowing/physics/basics.html#section5

I tried to move on from there here (as ventolin^2 ) :

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3415815&page=6

I would very much appreciate a critique of the various methods

2) I have tried to move on further to actually see if it's possible to use relative "energy equivalence" to find what a time over 1 distance implies for another :

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3461310

The problem is, I've used sleight-of-hand with using exponent 3/4 for inverse of s^4/t^3 ( applicable to (s/t)^(4/3) but not s^4/t^3 )

Empirically, it's giving very good answers (?) but like I said, not strictly legit

It's a very important question & can be considered the Holy Grail of Athletics as there are numerous calculators based on physiology or statistical analysis of annual performance lists, all of which are very poor

Any help with getting to a correct physics based solution will answer the biggest question in the main Olympic Sport - there's a challenge !

( post replies either here &/or that athletics forum thread ( no registration required, so you can "freewheel" it there ) )

1. How do you calculate the optimal pace for uneven splits?

The optimal pace for uneven splits can be calculated by dividing the total distance of the race by the total time you want to finish in. This will give you the average pace you need to maintain for the entire race.

2. Why is it important to calculate the optimal pace for uneven splits?

Calculating the optimal pace for uneven splits can help you pace yourself better during a race and prevent you from starting too fast and burning out before the finish line. It also allows you to strategically plan when to push yourself and when to conserve energy.

3. What factors should be considered when calculating the optimal pace for uneven splits?

Some factors that should be considered when calculating the optimal pace for uneven splits include the distance of the race, the terrain, weather conditions, and your own personal fitness level and running experience.

4. Can you adjust your pace during the race if you realize you are not on track for your optimal pace?

Yes, you can definitely adjust your pace during the race if you realize you are not on track for your optimal pace. It is important to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed to avoid burning out or injuring yourself.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with calculating the optimal pace for uneven splits?

Yes, there are various running apps and online calculators that can help you calculate your optimal pace for uneven splits. These tools take into account factors like distance, terrain, and your personal fitness level to determine the best pace for you to maintain during the race.