Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unexplained thread deletions and lockings

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1

Mk

To the moderators and mentors of physicsforums:

Many of us do not appreciate the unexplained lockings and deletion of our threads. Several users have been made unhappy or left physicsforums because of this. This morning I found that one of my threads was deleted in the Earth forum with no explanation whatsoever. I've seen many times threads being locked without warnings or a last post from a moderator. There have been several complaints in the Feedback forum about unexplained warnings and lockings of threads. However small or large the problem this needs to stop.

-Mk

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see any record of a recent deleted thread in Earth, or any reported posts. Are you sure it's not there? Once in a while we clean up minor, off-topic banter in the main forums without commenting because it's not a warning level offense, just distracting, but if an entire thread were deleted, you should have been notified.

We seem to have periodically had a post just outright disappear, not through moderation, but some weird forum glitch.

4. Jun 6, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The thread wasn't deleted, it was merged with another thread "Thread merged with 'Triassic extinction meteor crater in Antarctic' https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122843

Unfortunately when threads are merged, the thread that was merged disappears without a trace.

If you did a check of your posts, you'd find where they had been moved, that's how I found out what happened, I checked the location of your posts.

5. Jun 7, 2006 #4
  6. Jun 7, 2006 #5
    There is an option on vB 3.5.4 to leave a re-direct when threads are merged.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  7. Jun 7, 2006 #6

Mk

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  8. Jun 8, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

9. Jun 15, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not an option the mentors are given here. Whether it's available elsewhere, I don't know.

10. Jun 16, 2006 #9
    I see. I though it was standard, but it might be a modification. Click to enlarge:
    [​IMG]
    oh well.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?