Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unfamiliar symbol

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    What does the folowing symbol mean: ¥ and it sometimes has an equals sign through the bottom

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 22, 2006 #3
    Thanks Greathouse, but it still does not make sense to me. The problem is as follows:

2^4 ¥ 3^2

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    Is that the complete statement of the problem?

6. Sep 22, 2006 #5
    YES, NUTRINO. If you completed it then it would be 16 ¥ 9 which makes no sense to me since we already have a symbol for greater than.

7. Sep 22, 2006 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where is the problem from? Have you looked through your notes, textbook, or whatever for a definition of this symbol? If you still can't find it, ask you ever gave you the problem.

8. Sep 22, 2006 #7
    It is from a GLencoe/McGraw-Hill text and yes, I have reread the chapter and preceding chapters, researched the symbol through Google, and the only thing that comes up is the Japanese symbol for YEN. I am beginning to think that the text made an error.

9. Sep 22, 2006 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm. In that case it makes me think of the old ANSI upper ASCII characters.

OK, here it is. It looks like character 180. Hmm... that doesn't help any, it's just an acute in Unocode. I have no idea what that could have been intended as.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?