Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unguessable names

1. Nov 22, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Unguessable names!!!

Can somebody tell me the names of the 2 nobel scientists?
    One was a father who got the prize forr his theory and the other was his son who got the prize apparently for disputing his father's theory.
    Please be kind enought to tell me their names and what they were researching on.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whooo! Could you at least say which field that are supposed to be in??

4. Nov 22, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

e.g.

Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, Peace or Economics

5. Nov 22, 2003 #4

FZ+

J. J. Thomson won the nobel prize for showing electrons were particles, disproving the cathode ray wave theory.

George Thomson, his son carried out DeBroglie's electron diffraction experiment, showing electrons to be waves.

Geez, I really need to get out more...

6. Nov 22, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But did they dispute eachother or are they both correct, that is the question right?

7. Nov 22, 2003 #6

FZ+

Interesting question. From the perspective of QM, both are in effect wrong - the electron does not correlate to the classical image of an electron or a wave. It is a quantum entity that acts differently from your expectations. If I recall correctly, anyways.

8. Nov 23, 2003 #7
    I think youre close!!!

It is in Physics and actually the word is "apparently contradicting" his father's theory. Both the theories are vital but when one is being considered the other can't be taken into acount. Much like Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?