Unhealthy Eating Habits: What's Going Wrong?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the people on this show are doing extreme things to their diet in order to live a longer life. One guy is eating a very low calorie diet and is 6 feet tall and weighs 118 pounds. Another guy is a "raw vegan" and is shown running then crumpling to the ground in agonizing pain and then passing out. The people on this show argue that these extreme diets are healthy, but the show does not provide any scientific evidence to support this claim.
Could a Mentor please move the posts discussing conventional vs. organic farming to a new thread, so we're not derailing this one so much.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
So first you make the claim that "conventional" produce/food is "contaminated" by various chemicals, but when it's pointed out that organic produce and meats have (greatly) increased incidences of contamination with bacteria, you just brush it off? Our choices seem to be to have traces (if even that much remains) of pesticides (at levels which, to my knowledge, have never been shown to have adverse effects), or to have E-coli bacteria (which is very harmful) in our salads... tough choice.
All soils contain pathogens, not just organic or non-organic garden soil. It is necessary to wash produce to remove pathogens - just common sense. E coli, C botulinum, and other pathogens are found in soils everywhere, not just in soils that have been built up using organically-derived nutrients.

If you wish to claim that organically-produced foods have "(greatly) increased incidence of contamination with bacteria", it might be a good idea to back that up. Also, in your previous post, you claim that commercial farmers use organic fertilizers/compost and only supplement the nutrients with chemical fertilizers. Funny how selective your bacteria are. They will propagate in my soil, but not in soil fertilized with supplemental chemical nutrients. Quite creative but unconvincing arguments.

BTW, it is not a good idea to let chemical companies and agri-businesses determine the "safe" levels of pesticide residue for you. Dow stopped making DBCP in the US because the chemical was causing sterility in men. Dole threatened to sue Dow for breach of contract if they stopped delivering the chemical, so Dow kept producing it off-shore and delivering it to Dole, which sprayed the pesticide on its banana plantations in Central America, poisoning their workers.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g_knWbFc1RWGQWx9_Fp4ZF6gVk4Q [Broken]

And the lawsuits continue.

http://www.bananabook.org/discovolonte/2008/12/save.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
If you wish to claim that organically-produced foods have "(greatly) increased incidence of contamination with bacteria", it might be a good idea to back that up.
runner said:
Think premium brands are safer? Overall, chickens labeled as organic or raised without antibiotics and costing $3 to $5 per pound were more likely to harbor salmonella than were conventionally produced broilers that cost more like $1 per pound.
In addition, as Evo pointed out, the outbreaks of E-Coli were due to organic farming techniques. Maybe I shouldn't have added the "(greatly)", my apologies.
turbo-1 said:
Also, in your previous post, you claim that commercial farmers use organic fertilizers/compost and only supplement the nutrients with chemical fertilizers.
Now you're putting words in my mouth. I said that the few farmers I knew did this, I did not claim that commercial farmers in general do this.
turbo-1 said:
Funny how selective your bacteria are. They will propagate in my soil, but not in soil fertilized with supplemental chemical nutrients. Quite creative but unconvincing arguments.
They will propagate in any soil, but one subset of farmers is willing to use pesticides and antibiotics.
turbo-1 said:
BTW, it is not a good idea to let chemical companies and agri-businesses determine the "safe" levels of pesticide residue for you.
You'll get no argument from me on this point, there should definitely be testing and regulation.

runner said:
Think premium brands are safer? Overall, chickens labeled as organic or raised without antibiotics and costing $3 to $5 per pound were more likely to harbor salmonella than were conventionally produced broilers that cost more like $1 per pound.
In addition, as Evo pointed out, the outbreaks of E-Coli were due to organic farming techniques. Maybe I shouldn't have added the "(greatly)", my apologies.

This is a myth. According to the FDA:
Q. Are chickens labeled "Kosher," "free-range," "organic," or "natural" lower in Salmonella bacteria?
A. FSIS does not know of any valid scientific information that shows that any specific type of chicken has more or less Salmonella bacteria than other poultry.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/salmonella_questions_&_answers/index.asp [Broken]

Of course, Perdue and other big producers would have you believe that free-range chickens are more likely to be contaminated. One factor that people miss is that the big producers feed antibiotics to their chickens, and that apart from the % of contamination (which the USDA says is independent of growing methods) chickens that are routinely given antibiotics in their feed may harbor some drug-resistant strains of salmonella that would be tough to treat in humans sickened by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What are the most common unhealthy eating habits?</h2><p>Some of the most common unhealthy eating habits include consuming too much processed and fast food, excessive sugar and salt intake, skipping meals, and not eating enough fruits and vegetables.</p><h2>2. How do unhealthy eating habits affect our health?</h2><p>Unhealthy eating habits can lead to a variety of health issues, such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and nutrient deficiencies. They can also have a negative impact on our mental health, leading to low energy levels, mood swings, and decreased cognitive function.</p><h2>3. Why do people develop unhealthy eating habits?</h2><p>There are many reasons why people develop unhealthy eating habits, including convenience, emotional eating, lack of knowledge about nutrition, and societal pressures. These habits may also be influenced by genetics, environment, and personal preferences.</p><h2>4. What are some tips for breaking unhealthy eating habits?</h2><p>To break unhealthy eating habits, it is important to identify the triggers that lead to these habits and find healthier alternatives. This may involve meal planning, seeking support from a nutritionist or therapist, and making gradual changes to your diet. It is also important to practice mindful eating and listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues.</p><h2>5. How can we promote healthier eating habits in our society?</h2><p>Promoting healthier eating habits in our society involves educating individuals about nutrition and the importance of a balanced diet. This can be done through school programs, community initiatives, and government policies. Encouraging access to affordable and nutritious food options, as well as promoting a positive body image and healthy relationship with food, can also help promote healthier eating habits.</p>

1. What are the most common unhealthy eating habits?

Some of the most common unhealthy eating habits include consuming too much processed and fast food, excessive sugar and salt intake, skipping meals, and not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

2. How do unhealthy eating habits affect our health?

Unhealthy eating habits can lead to a variety of health issues, such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and nutrient deficiencies. They can also have a negative impact on our mental health, leading to low energy levels, mood swings, and decreased cognitive function.

3. Why do people develop unhealthy eating habits?

There are many reasons why people develop unhealthy eating habits, including convenience, emotional eating, lack of knowledge about nutrition, and societal pressures. These habits may also be influenced by genetics, environment, and personal preferences.

4. What are some tips for breaking unhealthy eating habits?

To break unhealthy eating habits, it is important to identify the triggers that lead to these habits and find healthier alternatives. This may involve meal planning, seeking support from a nutritionist or therapist, and making gradual changes to your diet. It is also important to practice mindful eating and listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues.

5. How can we promote healthier eating habits in our society?

Promoting healthier eating habits in our society involves educating individuals about nutrition and the importance of a balanced diet. This can be done through school programs, community initiatives, and government policies. Encouraging access to affordable and nutritious food options, as well as promoting a positive body image and healthy relationship with food, can also help promote healthier eating habits.