Uni Project Help: Weight & Force Calculations

In summary, The problem presented is about a circular plate with 16 holes and bottles attached to it, to be rotated by an axle attached to the center of the plate. The dimensions and weights of the plate and bottles are given, and the task is to calculate the forces and friction involved in turning the plate. The issue of finding the center of gravity is also brought up.
deborah_88
1. HI, please help! this is for a project I'm doing at uni and not sure where to start! Ok so I've got a circular plate with 16 equally spaced holes around the outside. In 15 of these holes are small bottles which are screwed in. (see attached pic). The plate dimensions are: 340mm diameter; 41mm diameter holes and 20mm thickness. The plate weighs 2kg and the bottles weigh 25g. Basically, the plate (and attached bottles) will be rotated via an axle attached to the centre of the plate. This axle will be attached to gearing and a torsion spring which, when loaded, will turn the plate. What I need to do is come calculations on this...what I'm not sure about is how to relate the weight of the plat and bottles acting down, and the force needed to turn it?2. I think I'll need to look at friction and forces but not sure how! All fiction examples seem to use a slope with a box on it, but how do I manipulate this into what my application is?! Also, will i need to find the centre of gravity as one bottle is "missing" so it won't be the centre of the plate anymore??3. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
top plate and bottles.jpg

sorry here's the attachment..!

For the Center of Gravity:
If you want to do a theoretical calculation, you can think of it like a system of point masses. Use polar coordinates, and maybe don't bother to find the axial (up-down direction) component of the center of mass.The center of mass of the plate is at it's center, so it will have no contribution to the sum of the numerator because |r| is zero, but it will change the 1/(total mass) part. ris the position vector

1. What is the importance of weight and force calculations in a uni project?

Weight and force calculations are essential in a uni project because they help determine the stability, safety, and performance of a structure or system. These calculations ensure that the project can withstand the expected loads and forces without failing or causing harm.

2. How do you calculate weight and force in a uni project?

Weight can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also need to be taken into account depending on the project.

3. What are some common tools used for weight and force calculations?

Some common tools used for weight and force calculations include calculators, scales, force gauges, and computer software programs. These tools help to accurately measure and calculate weights and forces in a uni project.

4. How do weight and force calculations affect the design of a uni project?

Weight and force calculations play a crucial role in the design of a uni project. These calculations help determine the appropriate materials, dimensions, and structural support needed to ensure the project's stability and safety. They also help identify potential design flaws and areas that may need reinforcement.

5. What are some real-world applications of weight and force calculations?

Weight and force calculations have many real-world applications, including in engineering, construction, and transportation industries. They are used to design buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as to determine the weight limits for vehicles and cargo. These calculations are also essential in aerospace and mechanical engineering for designing aircraft and machines that can withstand extreme forces.