Is Loughborough University Really as Wild as the Photos and Videos Suggest?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the cultural differences between Egypt and the UK, particularly in terms of social activities such as drinking, partying, and clubbing. The original poster is concerned about fitting in and not being able to adjust to the new culture if they transfer to a university in the UK. The other participants in the conversation offer reassurance that not everyone in the UK engages in these activities and that it is possible to have a social life without partaking in them. They also suggest that the poster should be open to experiencing a different culture and not judge others based on their social activities. The conversation ends with the poster expressing their concern about their appearance and how it may affect their social life.
AhmedEzz
I wanted to transfer to Loughborough Uni in the UK, I was all excited about it but when I saw pics and vids of students hanging out, I was shocked...I mean how could these "hacks" get into such a prestigous university. I'm from Egypt and should I transfer I'll go to third yr engineering.

Really guys, is it that my country is sooo conservative or they are tooo liberal??! I never drunk, I never slept with anyone , I never smoked, I never went clubbing like these guys do and I only went to a disco 2 times...
And don't tell me that's depressing or anything, I think that keeps me from being distracted from my studies and keeps me healthy.

I'm too worried I won't 'fit' there...I'm thinking of staying here in Egypt and maybe when I obtain the bachelors I go there to study for a masters...I'm 19 btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
that's how I felt when I entered university. But I got pretty used to with the environment. The world is big, there are many different types of people and you just got to get used to with it. I wasn't before...but now I guess you can call me one of those "hacks" in university. Though it doesn't mean I do bad in school tho =)

I'm a UK resident and student, and from my experience youth and student social lives do heavily feature alcohol and going out to clubs. It's how many people relax and let their hair down. That doesn't mean that the people are any less clever and hard working though- some of the smartest people I know also have an active social life and enjoy going out drinking.

The culture from country to country is quite obviously different. You didn't expect it to be the same did you? One of the reasons people choose to study abroad is to sample another culture as well further their formal education. I don't think its quite as bad as you imagine.

Kurdt said:
The culture from country to country is quite obviously different. You didn't expect it to be the same did you? One of the reasons people choose to study abroad is to sample another culture as well further their formal education. I don't think its quite as bad as you imagine.

I think this is the key point. They're not "too liberal" and you're not "too conservative," the two cultures are simply different. Just as someone moving from the UK to Egypt would need to adjust to different cultural expectations and perhaps change what they do for social activities, so does someone moving from Egypt to the UK.

It is of course worth considering before you move to another country...if the culture is something that will make you feel uncomfortable, or you think you'd be unhappy if you were the only one sitting out the social activities, and that would outweigh any benefits of the academic program, then you might not want to move there. On the other hand, you may find that you either enjoy experiencing the activities in a different culture, or that you are comfortable enough with being a non-participant in those activities that it is worth the move.

What will NOT work, though, is if you just assume that because someone's culture is different that they must be "hacks." Consider that one could look at you the same way, "That guy has to study all the time and never takes a break to go out to a party or have a girlfriend or have a drink or two...he must not be very smart if he needs to study so much to keep his grades up." See how that works? Of course it's not any more true than thinking the students in the UK are hacks for having their way of doing things. So, if you're going to live in another country, accept that things will be DIFFERENT, not necessarily better or worse.

I meant no offense when I was saying hacks but I meant they are acting looney and abit wild and crazy, as I said it was somewhat shocking to me, so I think my post was affected by that fact...I don't mind being left out of those activities at all but what I'm afraid of is that this being the general attitude.

What I really want to know is: are they all like that? partying and clubbing and drinking and smoking and grabbing girls and so and so...?

I value greatly the degree that I might get from there but I'm very afraid about not fitting in as I said, which will of course affect my experience and my academic performance. Don't get me wrong, I am tolerant and respect other's cultures but I know I won't 'go with the flow'.

Not everyone drinks and parties, but I would say the vast majority raised in this country do. The thing is that not everyone who drinks goes overboard and turns into an out of control imbecile. Many people still conduct themselves properly. Even though drinking is the norm, people don't usually care if you don't drink and it doesn't have to stop you going out with people and having a good time. I know a few people who go to pubs, clubs and parties but don't drink and they get on just fine. I don't think you'll find yourself too alienated, especially if you're willing to go to events where people do drink even if you don't plan on doing it yourself.

Of course they're not all like that. For example only around 25% of people in the UK smoke. I don't know what you saw or heard, but the people that you meet at university are generally very diverse. You will find one group that you fit in with, and you never know you might want to sample some of that culture and find you enjoy it.

Thanks guys that's relieving...however, here's the thing

That's me:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6267/img0167we7.jpg and I know I ain't all that good looking and I am not that tall either, and of course I don't have the muscles and bodies I've been seeing in every pic. or vid.

Its ok for and works in my country, I can stand up for myself and actually I'm among the average in Egypt-in terms of height and body-...I really don't know how to say this but you know why i'll feel alienated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'7'' and weigh less than 60 kilos (about 130lbs). To me you look like a very handsome fella. Average height in the Uk is about 5'10'' and not everyone is very toned in terms of their muscles. I suspect they've just taken the tallest and most well defined people to use in the video as these people are generally seen as being 'beautiful', but of course they do not represent the general populace. We're all ugly here :wink:

Don't be so self-conscious.

AhmedEzz said:
Thanks guys that's relieving...however, here's the thing

That's me:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6267/img0167we7.jpg

and I know I ain't all that good looking and I am not that tall either, and of course I don't have the muscles and bodies I've been seeing in every pic. or vid.

Its ok for and works in my country, I can stand up for myself and actually I'm among the average in Egypt-in terms of height and body-...I really don't know how to say this but you know why i'll feel alienated.

You're so cute!

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'm speechless but I assure you, that this is the third time in my life that I got that word, the first time was nine years ago.

but thanks really...thanks alot

I don't know why you're so self-conscious. You look like an average college student. What sort of pictures were you looking at to think college kids would look very different from you? Are you looking at the athletic program pages or something?

AhmedEzz said:
I wanted to transfer to Loughborough Uni in the UK, I was all excited about it but when I saw pics and vids of students hanging out, I was shocked
What pictures did you see? You don't really define "hanging out" here. Note that whilst at university there are many different clubs to join, and very different people out there: as has been mentioned you don't have to go out and drink to have fun. Whilst that is what a lot of students do, it's not what all students do!

Definitely cute! Great smile and beautiful eyes!

There are always the partiers and then there are those that are more conservative. Don't worry, you'll find your comfort zone.

I don't know why some Universities tend to push a party atmosphere to students, that would turn me off instead of attract me. Also, most people knowing you are Egyptian would be aware that it's not common to drink in your country. Both of my girls are in college and one doesn't drink, it does not affect her popularity.

er, I kinda felt the same about going to uni, lots of drunken partiers and general yobbish behaviour. From my experience, a significant number of students are like that (drinking, partying, sleeping around etc.), but they limit it to certain hours, and many are not like that at all.
There are so many people at uni, you will definitely fit in somewhere. Hey, I'm an ugly fella, small build, no sense of humour, not a partier, or drinker, and I fitted in!

Don't believe what you see in the ads. Not everyone at a university is a "drink until you pass out" type of person. Personally, I do not drink much at all. I go out one or two nights a week, out to eat, to the movies, etc., and I may have a beer or two, but that's about it. I never get drunk.

Realize though that many people are not going to be as dedicated as you are to your studies. Don't get me wrong. I relate MUCH more to a person like you than to the type of people your describing. Partiers are common though. You are going to have to put up with partiers anywhere you go. The trick is to remember that what they do does not have to affect your university experience. You'll find the group of people you can fit in with once you get there, don't worry. I guarantee that many people with interests and tastes similar to yourself exist at the University you'll be going to.

Ideally, I think that you are right that people should be serious about getting their degrees, but many times it just isn't the case in the real world. The trick is to not let that hinder you in your progress.

Last edited:
The vids and pics I saw were from youtube and the dorms' freshers week. Thanks for the support guys, I think I might still do it after all, what really motivates me is that I know some Brits and I really like them, they are very decent people and I think university staff should be decent as well.
And the degree is very attractive, job prospects for graduates from Lboro are high in the sky.

Ahh right freshers week. Everyone is a bit crazy in freshers week since its the time where new students get to know each other before their course starts, and quite often this bonding involves going drinking together. Its also an opportunity to get to know the place they will live so it means that they often go drinking from bar to bar. So yes freshers week is exceptional in that it tends to happen only once a year for the first years and they tend to go a bit wild unfortunately, but its certainly not the normal behaviour.

It's also when a lot of people get their first real experience of freedom from their parents, and alcohol will be a relatively new thing to some of them. As a result they do tend to go a bit out of control. People generally calm down a bit after that.

Loughborough town centre is such a turdhole that getting drunk just disguises this fact a bit.

Seriously though, the uni is excellent; great academia and a fantastic social scene.

"Loughborough town centre is such a turdhole that getting drunk just disguises this fact a bit.

Seriously though, the uni is excellent; great academia and a fantastic social scene."i'm sorry i don't know what a turdhole is but I get your point
"It's also when a lot of people get their first real experience of freedom from their parents, and alcohol will be a relatively new thing to some of them. As a result they do tend to go a bit out of control. People generally calm down a bit after that."I hope that 2 years is enough to calm down, lol

Kurdt said:
So yes freshers week is exceptional in that it tends to happen only once a year for the first years and they tend to go a bit wild unfortunately, but its certainly not the normal behaviour.
I had 4 freshers weeks during my time at university!

But yes, I would agree that one shouldn't gauge the university experience on a few images they have seen, especially if those images were taken during freshers week!

cristo said:
I had 4 freshers weeks during my time at university!

I never went to any. Its too much effort for me with the noise and the unfamiliar social interaction. I end up not enjoying myself.

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but like almost every night is party night at my school.

I don't go out every night, but like atleast once a week but usually twice a week. I can easily make it 5 times a week if I wanted. That's just crazy. Not many people do it, but the bars are packed with students just about every night.

I might go out tomorrow night even though I have class Friday morning. I probably won't go out Friday night though and definitely not on Saturday (working). I did go out last night, so that's already 2 times this week. If I do go out Friday (I'd like to), that's 3 times.

I plan on going on out consistently during my Master's too. If that's not possible, I'll just drop out. It's not that I value social life over school or anything. It's just that I don't want anything to take over my life in one area. I need the balance or I'm not happy. Therefore, if the balance is not possible, I'll stop whichever is causing the most problems.

And my summer is suppose to be like one giant vacation. I'm moving for 3 months to another area.

Last edited:
AhmedEzz,

I will give you the probably the best piece of advice you'll get:

"Be Yourself"

I go to university. I don't drink/smoke, go out etc.

I still have friends,and I still enjoy myself.

Don't get persuaded into doing something because they tell you to, or just because it appears everyone else is doing it - this is 'peer pressure', and will only get you into trouble.

TFM

Eidt:

I also find thoses who go out all night normally end up not coming in the next morning, and miss all the work/lectures.

Thnx man, thanks to all of you...I think I'm now more comfortable with that aspect of going to an overseas uni. Then there is the financial aspect where the uni tries to rip you for being an international student :rofl:

AhmedEzz said:
Then there is the financial aspect where the uni tries to rip you for being an international student :rofl:

Yes, but then this makes sense. International students have not paid any tax, and probably will not pay any tax in future. Universities are subsidised by the government, which obtains its money from tax. Thus, is it right to allow international students to come to a university and pay exactly the same as the domestic students? No, of course not.

cristo said:
Yes, but then this makes sense. International students have not paid any tax, and probably will not pay any tax in future. Universities are subsidised by the government, which obtains its money from tax. Thus, is it right to allow international students to come to a university and pay exactly the same as the domestic students? No, of course not.

It makes complete sense that international students get charged more.

I'm from Canada, and if I go to a different province in my country my tuition can double! That's staying within my own country. Education is funded provincially, so it makes complete sense.

Believe it or not not all students are drunkards, some are even teetotal. And universities have a myriad of societies that don't revolve around getting drunk. Unless you're a bit of a wallflower I'm sure you'll find people there with similar interests. Although University is supposed to be a time of study it's also a time to let your hair down, formal education is long gone so some people go a bit well OTT.

JasonRox said:
I'm from Canada, and if I go to a different province in my country my tuition can double! That's staying within my own country. Education is funded provincially, so it makes complete sense.

Well, that's only true if you're from Quebec and you go outside the province for your education. I'd guess that 90% of undergraduate programs in Canada have tuition fees that are within 800 CA$ of the national mean tuition.

I find this thread rather funny considering that I don't smoke, do drugs, and I've never had a drop of alcohol in my life -- well, maybe besides Nyquil.

I go to University, though, here the states (which is even more prone to parties), in an engineering field, and find there are a lot of people who don't drink.

Also, here in the states, at least, people who are anti-smoking are often considered Liberals.

How things have changed. :)

this is the good world that I hope to live in. But guys charging 12,500 sterling which is 600% or more than what the regular students pay, is kinda rip off.

I paid about about £3000 a year for my fees. so its not much more. Quite often your own government will cover part of the cost of tuition. I know of a few overseas students who had all their fees paid. Might be worth looking to see if your government has something similar.