Is Loughborough University Really as Wild as the Photos and Videos Suggest?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the cultural differences between Egypt and the UK, particularly in terms of social activities such as drinking, partying, and clubbing. The original poster is concerned about fitting in and not being able to adjust to the new culture if they transfer to a university in the UK. The other participants in the conversation offer reassurance that not everyone in the UK engages in these activities and that it is possible to have a social life without partaking in them. They also suggest that the poster should be open to experiencing a different culture and not judge others based on their social activities. The conversation ends with the poster expressing their concern about their appearance and how it may affect their social life.
I can afford the cost but I think its a bit too much, is 60% in the UK considered a good grade? ~B?

Physics news on Phys.org
AhmedEzz said:
this is the good world that I hope to live in. But guys charging 12,500 sterling which is 600% or more than what the regular students pay, is kinda rip off.
You're comparing things that are not comparable. The £3000 or so that home students pay is not "full fees" since, like I said, the government gives the university money. If the government were not funding the education then it would be a lot more expensive for everyone!

AhmedEzz said:
I can afford the cost but I think its a bit too much, is 60% in the UK considered a good grade? ~B?
60% is a borderline 2:1 degree, which is considered to be good, yes. Anything about 70% is a first class degree, which is the best that one can obtain.

oedipa maas said:
Well, that's only true if you're from Quebec and you go outside the province for your education. I'd guess that 90% of undergraduate programs in Canada have tuition fees that are within 800 CA$ of the national mean tuition.

Check again man.

You got it wrong.

AhmedEzz said:
this is the good world that I hope to live in. But guys charging 12,500 sterling which is 600% or more than what the regular students pay, is kinda rip off.

Ignorance won't get you very far.

Do your research about how schools are funded and add common sense, and you'll see that they're not ripping you off.

hmm, maybe I'm wrong...education here is a lot cheaper and don't tell me how it sucks in Egypt and how its incomparable because I already know, lol

I guess it all depends how you are brought up. I myself went to a university and let myself go. As in drinking WAY too much and partying a lot. I was raised next to these type of kids so naturally I took that path. I dropped out after my first year.

Just because you go out and enjoy yourself doesn't mean you are an idiot. You just need to control yourself and know how to have a good time without over doing it. Ah what the heck am I posting this for? lol

JasonRox said:
Check again man.

You got it wrong.

No, I'm actually pretty close to being bang-on... If you exclude Quebec (where in-province students pay 1900 CA$/year in tuition) then 89% of students in Canada pay within $800 of the mean ($4940 is the mean tuition for students outside Quebec).

Canadian average: 4,214 (1,047,700 students)
http://www.simoka.com/tuition-fees.html

university enrolments
(http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/02/07/university-enrolment.html )

province $$$ # of students
NFLD 2,606 18,300
PEI 4,645 3,800
NS 6,281 43,300
NB 5,037 25,000
QC 1,900 (tuition for in-province students only) 266,000
ON 4,881 431,000
MB 3,272 39,700
SK 5,062 33,000
AB 5,125 91,700
BC 4,874 108,200

Last edited by a moderator:
oedipa maas said:
No, I'm actually pretty close to being bang-on... If you exclude Quebec (where in-province students pay 1900 CA$/year in tuition) then 89% of students in Canada pay within $800 of the mean ($4940 is the mean tuition for students outside Quebec).

Canadian average: 4,214 (1,047,700 students)
http://www.simoka.com/tuition-fees.html

university enrolments
(http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/02/07/university-enrolment.html )

province $$$ # of students
NFLD 2,606 18,300
PEI 4,645 3,800
NS 6,281 43,300
NB 5,037 25,000
QC 1,900 (tuition for in-province students only) 266,000
ON 4,881 431,000
MB 3,272 39,700
SK 5,062 33,000
AB 5,125 91,700
BC 4,874 108,200

I'm talking about out-of-province students. If I go to BC (from Ontario), I will pay more than a BC citizen. That's what I have been saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
I'm talking about out-of-province students. If I go to BC (from Ontario), I will pay more than a BC citizen. That's what I have been saying.

No, only Quebec has different tuition for out-of-province students. If a resident of Ontario goes to BC for university he or she pays the same tuition as a student who is a BC resident.

oedipa maas said:
No, only Quebec has different tuition for out-of-province students. If a resident of Ontario goes to BC for university he or she pays the same tuition as a student who is a BC resident.

You're right!

That makes no sense!

How does the funding work in this case?

AhmedEzz said:
...I'm speechless but I assure you, that this is the third time in my life that I got that word, the first time was nine years ago.

but thanks really...thanks alot

You'd probably hear it more often if you lived in a more relaxed culture. Just the other day some girl said my best friend was cute, and he's WAY uglier than you. :rofl:

JasonRox said:
You're right!

That makes no sense!

How does the funding work in this case?

Well, I imagine that the number of students going out-of-province for their education is almost equal to the number of students coming in from other provinces. If I was going to bet, I'd say that BC, Ontario and Nova Scotia are gaining more students than they're losing. But I am too lazy to look up the statistics on that subject.

AhmedEzz: sorry for borrowing your thread for this debate. I think going abroad for your education would be a great experience. There is a lot of variety in university life and you'll find a few niches. I've been an expat for two years and there are always a few surprises adjusting to the local way of doing things (food, bureacracy, what students wear to class, what gets printed in the student newspaper...)

Last year I worked with a fun guy from Jordan who is Muslim. He always came to department get-togethers (very casual beer & bbq events). Of course, he didn't drink alcohol or eat (pork) sausages but that didn't interfere with having a good time chatting and hanging out. There were other foreign students who never attended these events (even though everyone was explicitly invited) and I always felt sorry that they didn't feel welcome or didn't feel that their attendance would be worthwhile. I don't think that it's always made clear to foreign students that the social part of going to school/working at a university is as much part of the experience as study and research.