Uniaxial Tension Test: Calculating Strain from Extension Data?

In summary, the speaker conducted a uniaxial tension test on various materials but had difficulty gathering useful axial strain data due to the extensometer slipping. They were able to gather data for the linear elastic region of the stress-strain curve and the extension of the machine's crossbar, but this data was not accurate for determining the strain in the specimen being tested. They suggest using Hooke's law to determine the modulus of elasticity of the materials in the machine and then using that value to calculate the strain of the specimen from the crossbar extension data. However, this method may not work well for highly elastic materials such as rubber or certain plastics. They also mention removing the extensometer halfway through the test and possibly needing a new
KyleV
I conducted a uniaxial tension test for a variety of materials but wasn't able to gather much useful axial strain data due to the extensometer continually slipping. I have axial strain data for the linear elastic region of the stress strain curve and I also have the extension of the crossbar of the machine. Since the materials of the machine are strained and thus stretch a certain amount, the extension data from the crossbar isn't very accurate for determining the strain in the specimen that's being tested. Using Hooke's law, is it possible to determine a modulus of elasticity of the materials in the testing machine, then use that value to calculate the strain of the specimen from the crossbar extension data?

Intuitively I think that it should work, but I'm having trouble verifying it.

Known Data:
σ
εaxial
εextension

Hopefully I can help you understand what's going on with your tensile test.

So I am assuming you are testing dogbone style standard specimens. The Hooke's law conversion should work well if you are testing metals but will not work so well if you are testing rubber or highly elastic plastics. The reason for this is because the more elastic specimens will elongate outside of the gauge length area or the focus area of the test where the "neck" of the specimen is. They will elongate towards the base and since the base is thicker in material it will corrupt your results.

Regarding the extensometer slipping... You don't need to run the entire test with the extensometer on the sample. You can remove the extensometer halfway through the test. If you are able to recognize about when the extensometer will slip in the test (maybe 20 seconds in) you can remove the extensometer and you should have gathered enough data to calculate a modulus.

It also sounds like you may need a new extensometer to go with your universal testing machine and grips. If you have any questions related to tensile testing, visit us at www.universalgripco.com and we should be able to help you out.

- Chris

1. What is a uniaxial tension test?

A uniaxial tension test is a type of mechanical test used to determine the behavior of a material when subjected to tensile stress, or forces that pull the material apart. It involves stretching a sample of the material in one direction until it breaks, while measuring the applied force and the resulting extension or strain.

2. How is strain calculated from extension data in a uniaxial tension test?

Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of the sample (extension) by the original length of the sample. This value is typically multiplied by 100 to express strain as a percentage. The formula for strain is: Strain = (extension / original length) * 100.

3. What information can be obtained from a uniaxial tension test?

A uniaxial tension test can provide valuable information about the mechanical properties of a material, including its strength, stiffness, and ductility. It can also reveal the material's elastic limit, yield strength, and ultimate tensile strength, which are important factors in determining its suitability for different applications.

4. What are some factors that can affect the results of a uniaxial tension test?

The results of a uniaxial tension test can be affected by various factors such as the composition and structure of the material, the rate at which the sample is stretched, the temperature and humidity of the testing environment, and any defects or imperfections in the sample. It is important to control these variables in order to obtain accurate and reproducible results.

5. How is the data from a uniaxial tension test used in materials engineering?

The data obtained from a uniaxial tension test is used to characterize the mechanical behavior of a material and determine its suitability for specific applications. This information is also used in the development and design of new materials, as well as in quality control and testing of materials in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.