Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unidentified fruit

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    I am looking for the name of this thing fruit (or vegetable):

Attached Files:

• cara.jpg
      cara.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2
    Look familiar, pretty sure I've tried it. Has a crunchy feel and sour taste. Don't know the name though.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    Well it is not a carambola.

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can you get a better, closer picture, can you cut one open? Would knowing the country it's in help? The leaves look similar to tomato leaves, but this is a tree?

6. Jul 23, 2015 #5
    Hmm, where did you obtain the image, that might help?
    Does look tomato like, but lacks the very sturdy stems and branches that tomato has.
    Looks to me also to be a bit like a fig, one of the smaller varieties, not really a 'tree'

7. Jul 24, 2015 #6
    Okay, I will bite.
    Gooseberries?
    Though, aren't UFO threads banned?

8. Jul 24, 2015 #7
    It's made in Greece by a friend of mine.

9. Jul 24, 2015 #8
    I've searched the internet and the cape of this fruit does look similar but the cape is I think much smaller than this one, right?

10. Jul 24, 2015 #9

Hepth

Gold Member

Ground-Cherries? (physalis) Sometimes they look like gooseberries when unripe. They use them a lot here in europe, and would grow well in Greece.
    Theres 50-100 varieties too.

11. Jul 24, 2015 #10
    Ha! We were picking wild Gooseberries and Saskatoon berries in the woods yesterday. Had some on my French toast this morning.

12. Jul 24, 2015 #11
    Could be but did you notice that these are more round shaped than elliptic shaped like the normal ones?

13. Jul 24, 2015 #12

Hepth

Gold Member

Yeah, but its the only thing with the maple-like leaves I could think of, and theres so many varieties, it could be any shape when young.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook