Can Unification of Forces Coexist with an Eternally Inflating Universe?

In summary, Linde's idea of an "eternally existing self-replicating inflationary universe" does not require the universe to have a beginning.
Ranku
Is the possibility of unification of gravitation with the other three fundamental forces compatible with the idea of an 'eternally existing self-replicating inflationary universe' as proposed by Linde? In other words, for unification of the four fundamental forces, is it necessary for the universe to have a finite beginning, or can it have an 'infinite' origin?

Space news on Phys.org
Ranku said:
Is the possibility of unification of gravitation with the other three fundamental forces compatible with the idea of an 'eternally existing self-replicating inflationary universe' as proposed by Linde? In other words, for unification of the four fundamental forces, is it necessary for the universe to have a finite beginning, or can it have an 'infinite' origin?
I don't think there's any reason to suspect that these ideas are incompatible, no. Especially as the precise way in which gravity and quantum mechanics can be reconciled isn't yet known.

It's also worth pointing out that eternal inflation does not avoid the initial singularity.

bapowell said:
eternal inflation does not avoid the initial singularity

Can you elaborate?

Bapowell, I notice both papers are by the same authors, something that always makes me suspicious.
I am not qualified to assess the validity of the argument, so I generally look to see if other cosmologists agree and it seem they don't agree
https://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0571
https://arxiv.org/abs/1204.5385
i doubt there is any to test between the two notions, but happy to be proven wrong.

Well, we need to do more than just find dissenting viewpoints. Rather than assume that inflation is past-eternal until proven otherwise, why not withhold judgement either way until you can understand the merits of the various arguments?

Thanks for posting the references: I'll try to have a look this weekend and determine where the disagreement lies.

For what it's worth, and not to blindly appeal to authority, but Alex Vilenkin and Alan Guth are two of the original architects of quantum cosmology and inflation theory and have generally well-reasoned arguments. We'll see if they withstand the challenge.

I agree. My thinking when assessing these things, is if a theorist claims something and I am not in a position to assess if they are right i can ask two questions
1) is there a consensus amongst other theorists ? are the dissenters respected int the field?
2) is there a way to experimentally confirm their statements?
I know Guth and Vilenkin are big names in the field but Susskind and Aguirre are also quite well respected, are they not?
heres another dissenter
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.5550
I look forward to your comments and Yes I do withhold judgement. On the second point, I think we would be very lucky to find some direct probe of eternal inflation happening maybe something like bubble collisions or some other means, but even in such an optimistic scenario how we could test the claim that it not past eternal?

In the paper "Eternally Existing..." Linde says: "its (eternally inflating universe) global geometry has nothing in common neither with the geometry of an open or flat homogeneous universe with a gradually decreasing energy density, nor with the geometry of a closed universe.." Also: "There may exist an initial global singular spacelike hypersurface. In this case the universe as a whole emerges from a state with a Planck density ρ ~ MP4 at some moment t = tP at which it becomes possible to speak about the universe in terms of classical spacetime."

So what does this mean in terms of the similarity and difference between eternal inflation and finite inflation, apart from the rolling potential in the latter? For instance, is the dynamics of eternal inflation described by the Friedmann equation?

Mu impression is that eternal inflation is eternal in at least one direction of time, not necessarily both, although some have argued it is both, see above posts.

1. What is the concept of unification in physics?

Unification in physics refers to the quest to find a single theory that can explain and unify all fundamental forces in the universe. This theory, also known as the "theory of everything", would bring together the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which currently describe gravity and the other three fundamental forces separately.

2. What is the role of inflation in the Big Bang theory?

Inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the first few moments after the Big Bang. It proposes that the universe underwent a period of exponential expansion, causing it to become much larger than it initially was. This explains some of the observed features of the universe, such as its uniformity and flatness, which are difficult to explain without inflation.

3. How does inflation solve the horizon problem?

The horizon problem is a puzzle in cosmology that arises from the fact that different regions of the observable universe have the same temperature, even though they have never been in contact with each other. Inflation solves this problem by proposing that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion, causing distant regions to come into contact and reach thermal equilibrium before the expansion stopped.

4. Can unification and inflation be tested through experiments?

Yes, unification and inflation can be tested through various experiments and observations. For example, scientists can use particle accelerators to test theories of unification by looking for evidence of new particles predicted by these theories. Inflation can also be tested through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which carries imprints of the early universe and can provide evidence for the rapid expansion proposed by inflation.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to the theories of unification and inflation?

Yes, there are still many challenges and limitations to these theories. For unification, one of the main challenges is the lack of experimental evidence for the predicted new particles and forces. For inflation, there are debates about the details of the theory and how it fits with other theories, as well as the lack of direct observational evidence for inflation itself. These theories are still being actively researched and refined by scientists.